Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

quick question?u-joints

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  bsa_bob 
#1 ·
Ican put up a picture if wanted ;but think you'll know what i am speaking about. I have a u-joint that I never had before . It has no release clips, Outside or inside. Theres little pins --on every side in the middle of each leg ,of the u-joint. I smacked one with a hammer (pin) which flattened it right out with one blow. of the hammer.Are these what i remove to get this u-joint apart? Drive them out somehow?????????????? thanks for reading this bob s

#6 ·
Doesn't sound like anything that I would want to be near, when it explodes :scared0016:

#13 ·
Igot them out finally! after i used my cutting torch at hi-temp. I was trying to get them out with my plumbers torch.not hot enough. Really a piss poor way to do this in the 70s, bet they paid 10 engineers to figure this dumb way of doing this. Out save them money i would guess thank s Davdc

ps i want to use this driveshaft in my 55. Can i go completetly--- to the original u-joint setup 2clamps and nuts.work much better.

#16 · (Edited)
Ease of removal -its all about the ease of removal.Just another glitch in the resto-world.I have 3 -4 more they will get throwed out, after this build.:tu
bob s

Theres strand fiberglass threads in those u-joints , They last long time -as you say..I think-They'er more water and corrsoion resistant . probably . bob s

#18 · (Edited)
Yup! all is good once you apply enough heat. Boil out that sealer that they used. The 4 other shafts,in my finished Kars.I have the old clip style setup .. My Merc shaft was kustom built.It has none of these pins.....[ I want to call them} has the old style O/S clips. 2004 i built that one and the 49 was just before the Merc old style.Thanks again Trifive bob s

ps so the pin type was 70s?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.