Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Installing buckets seats in a 57 chevy

62K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  poplg 
#1 ·
I made a video about installing bucket seats in my 57.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLcPeexsZOg

These seats came out of a 2004 monte carlo 2 dr.

The same seats are in 2000 - 2004 monte carlo 2 dr cars

Otis :)

#2 ·
nice job you look like a proffeser;)tri five unavercity:D

#11 ·
Otis, great vid. Answered a lot of questions I had regarding the install. Great job. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. :tu

Ed

#16 ·
These seats came out of a 2004 monte carlo 2 dr.
The same seats are in 2000 - 2004 monte carlo 2 dr cars...Otis :)
Otis....In the video you say the seats came out of an Impala.....Which was it? :confused0006:

#19 ·
Jim....Not being arguementive....However, I don't know if that is such a good idea or not :confused0006:...I believe seat belts are normally mounted to the floor for a reason....If you are in a head-on or rear ender, I can see the seats sliding forward, belts,driver and all....Just my $.02

#18 ·
Otis....In the video you say the seats came out of an Impala.....Which was it?
David, Otis` seats are out of a monte carlo.
Terry

#20 ·
seats and seat belts...

I thought i should comment on seats and seat belts. The seat belt on most new cars are attached to the seat either by buckle or complete seat -buckle w/retactor-.
I have seen many wrecked late model cars with all types of set ups including the seat belts attached to doors. In my opinion the most dangerous seat belt set up is the one attached to the door type. The reason for this opinion is this...in an accident you can rip a door off faster than ripping the seat loose from the floor or the tracks from unlocking out of the track lock mechanism.
With the seat belts attached to the seat, the most i have seen is the seat has a slight twist at the shoulder where the seat belt attached.
In the end it is a descion that everyone of us will have to decide which we prefer to utilize.
I hope this helps inform everyone who would like to put different seats in thier cars.
Gene

#21 ·
I realize this is a two years old thread, but I just bought a 57 that has seats very similar to the ones in Otis' video and have a couple of questions:
1. Can you pull the power track off the drivers side and replace it with a manual track?
2. Will the passenger seat outside trim fit on the right side of the drivers seat and vice-versa? I don't plan to have a console, so I would like to have the track covers on both sides of each seat.

These seats are quite comfortable, but I don't even know if the power track works and I don't want the hassle anyway.

The other problem with the seats that I have not been able to figure out yet is that the backs will not lock in the rearward position on either side. They recline just fine and fold forward the way they are supposed to, they just will not latch when you fold them back. Not sure why, but I read on a thread somewhere while searching that it was a common problem on 99 Monte Carlo's

#24 ·
HI,

Last week I bought a pair of Leather bucket seats out of a 2004 Monte Carlo SS at the "Pick-N-Pull" yard in Rancho Cordova, CA. The driver's seat is power while the passenger seat is manual. I really don't want the power option on the driver's seat, so I had figured on getting a manual track from another Monte Carlo's driver's seat.

I removed the track assemblies from the bottom of the Monte Carlo SS bucket seats the next day. What I found in comparing the manual vs. the power seat track assemblies is that they have differing bolt patterns for the seat mounting bolts.

I was at NorCal GM Auto Recycling in Rancho Cordova yesterday, and I was told that yes, the leather Monte Carlo SS driver's seats have a different bolt pattern on the bottom side of the power seat than the manual track for the Monte Carlo cloth driver's seats.

Once I stabilize the manual track assembly by squaring its runners up and welding a cross bar on it just as Otis did in his 'most excellent' you tube video (Thanks Again, Otis!

I plan to make plywood templates of the bolt pattern on each of the two seats, just to see the difference in the bolt patterns, and I hope to be able to modify a 2004 Monte Carlo cloth seat's manual driver's side seat track assembly in order to bolt the leather driver's seat to it.

These Monte Carlo bucket seats will be installed in my '57 '210 Series' 2-door station wagon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.