Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 1/2 ton Chevrolet silverado with 36,000 miles on it . So far I have had to change both front wheel bearings[not cheap with abs sensors], and now my drivers side front axle brg is shot . Seems a bit soon for all this , have heard rumors of this axle brg being a problem with other 05/06 trucks . Any thoughts , it looks to me like it might be easier to take the whole front diff out and change the bearing on the bench

Thanks Ken

·
12,256 Posts
My son has an 05 GMC with a Duramax (3/4 ton) and he's had the same problem with his. Both sides went out under 50K miles. Mine is an 03 Silverado that still has the original bearings at about 120K. I don't know why these car manufacturers still have problems like this when they've built millions of these things.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have an '03 Silverado 2500 HD and have had to change them twice. Once at about 75k and again at about 130k. They are about $300 ea, but are easy to change. I did the last set in about an hour. I used to run 285/60/18s and switched back to highway 17" tires. Get better economy and less problems with the hubs.

I did just have to replace all the steering related parts and it is very tight again. I didn't realize how loose it had gotten.

Is yours a 2 or 4-wheel drive? I heard that the 4wd models had this issue from a friend who worked at a GMC/Peterbuilt shop.

It kinda sucks, but I've only had problems with that and the speedo going out (twice!!!). Knock on wood. Do the maintenance on schedule and you should get many many miles of use.

Later,

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.