Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a search, and found a lot of threads, but not really the info I was looking for.
I'm putting an A833 4 speed/sbc combo in my 57, and will eventually run a 500 ps box.

I'll be running an old set of 186 heads that I used to run on a LT-1in my 59 Vette. The previous owner ported the exhaust ports to fit a round tube header. The ports don't match a 1 5/8 header opening.

I would like to find a 1 3/4 header that will fit the chassis, stock clutch linkage, and clear a 168 tooth flywheel and 500 ps box.

·
Premium Member
16,064 Posts
I tried a search, and found a lot of threads, but not really the info I was looking for.
I'm putting an A833 4 speed/sbc combo in my 57, and will eventually run a 500 ps box.

I'll be running an old set of 186 heads that I used to run on a LT-1in my 59 Vette. The previous owner ported the exhaust ports to fit a round tube header. The ports don't match a 1 5/8 header opening.

I would like to find a 1 3/4 header that will fit the chassis, stock clutch linkage, and clear a 168 tooth flywheel and 500 ps box.
The Hedman 68128 will clear everything you mention. The only thing is they are 1-5/8" tubes but do have a large and thick flange area. They will fit and seal if you can't find a 1-3/4" tube set that will clear everything. :anim_25:

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
chevylane55, member here has #8050 patriot's and if I recall right with stock clutch linkage...they are 1 3/4's.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I was concerned with the 168 tooth flywheel issue with some of the Patriot headers, but it looks like the 8050 headers may work. I did not see a footnote about a conflict with the flywheel.

I've had good luck with Hedman Elite's on my old Chevelle. They are a nicely built header for the money. If for some reason I do not run the 186 heads, these will be on the short list. My heads are getting checked at a machine shop right now.

I've had mixed luck with Hooker headers over the years. They have hung low on other cars I used to own, and the set my son has on his Camaro scrape on speedbumps despite having stock spindles and new, stock replacement front and rear Z28 springs.

The Earle Williams headers look like a work of art, and they had a lot of favorable reviews. Unfortunately, they are a bit more than I'm looking to spend, mainly because I will be swapping a LSx engine within the next couple years.

Earle Williams
http://niceguy9903.wix.com/williamsclassic#!product/prd1/799139271/wccw-headers
Hedman Elite
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-68128/overview/
Patriot 8050
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8050-1/applications/make/chevrolet/model/bel-air?prefilter=1

·
Registered
37,775 Posts
All 3 of the headers I recommended do not hang low - they also require the removal of the frame brackets for the rear engine mounts.

Any full length header that doesn't require this does hang pretty low. (Hooker and Hedman make some).

Don't know on the Patriots. Assume they'll hang low too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.