Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1" or 1 1/4" front sway bar, does it matter which?

9K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  A-aron 
#1 ·
Winter upgrades include a front sway bar, 1" or 1 1/4" sway bar, does it matter?
Would I notice any difference in reduced body roll with the larger bar?

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
I think the 1 1/4" would be total overkill, unless it's hollow, and/or you are up for some serious road racing. I thought mine was 1 1/8 but it's only 1" and it's plenty.

When I first got it I practiced going around an off ramp circle and it was a joy (joyride). Jerking the wheel a little too far to test it's limits, I felt some oversteer and added a 7/8" in the rear. Balanced out real nice. I don't think most people are comfortable pushing things to the limits like I did/do, but it's nice to know how your car will react in an emergency situation, before the emergency happens.

Could be that with 7/8 in front you don't need a rear bar. Although if you take a turn a little too fast and feel the back end sliding a little, they do make a 3/4" rear bar.

#34 ·
Sounds good for road racing on curvy roads! Shit, now you are going to make me want to get a bigger one. I can see where an adjustable rear would come in handy with one this massive in the front.

Sort of on a different topic but not too far off, I heard that a lot of newer cars have, for a limit stop rubber bumper, that they now have some kind of really hard "memory foam" type material. Is there any truth at all behind that?

#35 ·
I've got the Helwig 1.25 ft bar. Going to see how well it does w/o a rear. If necessary, I'll add the rear. I can get an OEM bar, that came on the 8.8 FORD rear axle. That would be plenty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.