Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Achieved my goal on Power Tour. Sherman, Tx to Memphis, Tn and Graceland. 1100 miles.
Looked and acted good, but used a qt of oil every 200 miles each day. Not smoking, not leaking. Oil spots from rt tail pipe on ground when started up. Plugs med tan and just right. Does not appear to burn oil, ideas on problem appreciated. Lloyd :bowtier: 265. basically all new.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Achieved my goal on Power Tour. Sherman, Tx to Memphis, Tn and Graceland. 1100 miles.
Looked and acted good, but used a qt of oil every 200 miles each day. Not smoking, not leaking. Oil spots from rt tail pipe on ground when started up. Plugs med tan and just right. Does not appear to burn oil, ideas on problem appreciated. Lloyd :bowtier: 265. basically all new.
Shot in the dark without seeing and hearing it.

Being new, I would expect it to burn a little oil till it gets broken in. But not that much. My first guess would be valve seals, but that seems like to much oil for that.

Do you have a PVC or a road pipe?

I wouldn't be suprised if its more than just one cause.

Stick or automatic? Can you check the rear main seal?

The oil drip from the right tail pipe says you are loosing oil on that side at least.

7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lloyd how many miles on engine? If newly rebuilt what kind of rings were used?
Terry
Guessing on dates
Terry, 1984 put in new rings ?, pistons 30 over, pins, rv cam?, oil pump,quad, ect. Oil and tdc for about 12 yrs. Pulled intake, checked lifters, 2 were stuck, freed up, pre oiled and started after 18 yrs. Ran good. 8 miles on street and about 50 in garage over next 5 yrs. About 1000 mi around town last month. Together for Tour and 1100 miles. Total miles, maybe 2050.
Slim, ready, just looking what to look for.
Pistoncan, rebuilt (no leak) PG, stock road pipe, rear rope seal almost no leak, will replace with now available better seal.

Long but trying to give complete picture.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I have never been a believer in those "miracle in a can" type fixes but a little magic mystery oil in your gas and oil couldn't hurt. Sounds to me like you need to get out and drive it. That will often times free up things more than anything else.

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Possible to have some valve guide seals bad,also check to see if there's a baffle under the PCV valve.No oil fouled plugs? I would probably accomplish a compression test being that a qt. is being used every 200 miles and a little oil drip from the tailpipe.Keep us posted,:anim_25:.
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tks guys, will post results. Lloyd :bowtier:

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Not to be a smart A**, but isn't it supposed to be gallons of gas per mile, not quarts of oil per mile? :sign0020:

On a serious not, hope you figure it out Lloyd.....

drive it like you stole it, and maybe things will loosen up and seal up again for ya!! :shakehands:

Rick

7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Not to be a smart A**, but isn't it supposed to be gallons of gas per mile, not quarts of oil per mile? :sign0020:

Oh Yeah. Built this puppy to drive. I kept up for 500 miles with a 455 67 GTO, built right, a 40 something Ford on a Suburban chassis and motor and a Super Bee with a 426 Hemi at 40, 50, 60, 70 and a couple of times at 82. This was an adventure for this old man. I just need her to act as good as she looks. The 265 Stays, regardless of what it takes. You guys just have to help me make it happen. Life is Good. Lloyd :bowtier: :shakehands:

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Hey Lloyd, I'm certainly no expert, but would like to throw in my .02 worth. I have had many issues with valve seats, etc, and always got smoke on startup, so if you aren't getting blue smoke for a little at start up, I wouldn't think it would be that since you say there is no smoke. Seems these 265's had issues with what we used to call by-pass or blow-by. I don't remember exactly what caused it, but think it had something to do with ventilation, or lack of it. Could be the viscosity of the oil, or even the carb dumping gas and thinning the oil. What kind of gas mileage did you get? I'm probably way off, but trying to help. The 57 showing in my albums was one I had in about '64 with a 265. I drove it back and forth to Houston, about 400 miles or so and it would use 5 qts of oil one way and didn't smoke a bit. My ex-wife sold it when I went in the service, so never figured out what it was.

7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi friend. Appreciate. Castrol 10ww40 oil, stock exhaust tube, no PVC. Shawn replaced in and out umbrella valve seals on #1 before we left. May have helped a little. Terry was working on Jim's Quad, didn't have time for mine. May be part of the problem. I am not smoking either, just blowing oil somewhere from the tailpipe. If Pat sells mine, I have a Real Problem. LOL. Later. Lloyd :bowtier::shakehands:

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Lloyd, seems the older I get, the more smoke I blow, and yeah, my plumbing is messed up, a lot of drips from the tailpipe. Oh, wait a minute, we were talking about our cars. Ann would come more near selling me than the '57, its probably lower maintenance!

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
1 Qt = 200 miles

What kind of rear seal did you put in it? That is the same oil mileage I was getting when the rope seal put in by the rebuilder failed after about 600 miles. It failed after my first decent stint of highway driving (~ 200 miles in 2 days). My oil dripped out of the drain hole in the bell housing, only leaking when the engine was running.

Good luck, took me 2 years to finally solve that one.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.