Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to ID a 10 bolt rear axle I have fitted to my 55. When i purchased it I asked for a 67-69 Camaro axle. I need to replace the pinion seal and the size doesn't seem to line up. The numbers I have off the axle are:

Numbers on casting 1235542B
Numbers on axle tube JAG1092
Other numbers on casting GM16, AND D183

From the research I have done I think it is out of a 1973 vehicle with a 2.73 ratio that is open?

The oil seal measures housing size 2 3/4", shaft size 1 15/16"

Any ideas as I don't want to order one then find it doesn't fit.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
A 10 bolt of that era will have a alpa numerical code stamped high on pass side tube that will tell you exactly what car it is out of, gear ratio and if its a posi. These codes are listed in a Hollander manual.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
A 10 bolt of that era will have a alpa numerical code stamped high on pass side tube that will tell you exactly what car it is out of, gear ratio and if its a posi. These codes are listed in a Hollander manual. Many vehicals have this code on rear axle its how they figured out the type of truck OK City bomber used so fast.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stamped code on the axle tube is JAG1092. On the nastyz28.com site it says the JA is the ratio, the G is the plant, Detroit, the 109 is the 109th day, the 2 means night shift, and no leters after that means it is an open diff, no positraction.

The JA doesen't come up on that site as a ratio, making me wonder if it is out of a Nova or something else.

I just don't want to order a pinion seal then find out it is wrong as I can't find one that size in Australia.

Thanks
Tony

·
Premium Member
16,824 Posts
The stamped code on the axle tube is JAG1092. On the nastyz28.com site it says the JA is the ratio, the G is the plant, Detroit, the 109 is the 109th day, the 2 means night shift, and no leters after that means it is an open diff, no positraction.

The JA doesen't come up on that site as a ratio, making me wonder if it is out of a Nova or something else.

I just don't want to order a pinion seal then find out it is wrong as I can't find one that size in Australia.

Thanks
Tony
You can't find a pinion seal for a 73-74 Camaro 10 bolt? The seal for casting number 1235542B is going to be the same seal if it is on a Camaro or a Nova. The common seal number is SKF 15315, The seal fits 67-2000 Camaro and 69-79 Nova. Here are the specs;
Width (in) 0.607
Shaft (in) 1.524
Bore (in) 2.656
Outer Diameter (in) 2.66

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Bruce but as I stated in my first post the seal sizes out of my diff pinion are as follows:

Bore size: 2 3/4" (2.75")
Shaft size: 1 15/16" (1.9375")
and the seal thickness is 1/2" (0.50")

All the seals I have found are the 2 sizes you have stated hence my reluctance to order one as it won't fit if it is either of these sizes.

There are no numbers on the old seal and all the parts suppliers here shrug their shoulders.

Am I missing something here or am I just lucky enough to have some oddball thing?

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found it!! After much searching I found the seal I need on the Timken bearing web site. They list it for various Buick, Cadillac GMC, and Chevrolet models including Monte Carlo, Malibu, Impala, and Nova's varying in years from the 60's to the 90's

The measurements match mine and it is available from Summit so I can get one ordered and on the way. The Timken part number is 2043.

Thanks
Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.