Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a 12 bolt rear about 2 years ago in my 210 hardtop and left the original posi just laying out in the yard. Well someone came by looking for a posi unit so it prompted me to pull the axles out and look what I found!...Looks like I changed it out just in time, the driver side axle as you can see in the pic, bent pretty badly, but what does not show in the pic is a hairline split about 4" long ...just below the splines! That thing was about to let loose. That damage was done with the former motor, an approx 375-400 horse 350 with a 6 speed, My burnouts with that motor were never really dumped at high RPM, but I did shift it around 6500...Whew talk about perfect timing

Attachments

·
Registered
68,228 Posts
nice fine ron. :tu

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Whew...yep, that was close to explode. Another evidence that stock rear and especially stock axles aren't the best idea behind potent engine and manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Hey Ron, I can relate. I have a couple of old stock 57 axles that look exactly like that complete with the split that rolls around the axle, the only reason I knew I had hurt mine is that a guy rolled up next to me and told me I had a rear wheel wobbling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts