Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 bolt rear, I was told it had a detroit locker, but it turned out to be a spool.I want to change it to a standard rear, maybe a limited slip with spider gears. It has a 30 spline rear axle. The rear also has the 9" ford bolt on rear axle seals. It is a 8.875 "C" style with the round cover.

My question, can I just go out and buy a standard 12 bolt carrier and bolt it in. The ratio is 3.73:1. I will not be going to the track and drag racing this car.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I have a 12 bolt rear, I was told it had a detroit locker, but it turned out to be a spool.I want to change it to a standard rear, maybe a limited slip with spider gears. It has a 30 spline rear axle. The rear also has the 9" ford bolt on rear axle seals. It is a 8.875 "C" style with the round cover.

My question, can I just go out and buy a standard 12 bolt carrier and bolt it in. The ratio is 3.73:1. I will not be going to the track and drag racing this car.

Thanks in advance.
Hi John, it sounds like the previous owner put a "C" clip eliminator kit on the housing..do you have a picture to show so we can confirm what your working with. A standard Eaton 12 bolt series 3 carrier would be just fine with a 3.73 gear set. I looked at your album pictures and you have a very nicely built BelAir Hardtop :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi John, it sounds like the previous owner put a "C" clip eliminator kit on the housing..do you have a picture to show so we can confirm what your working with. A standard Eaton 12 bolt series 3 carrier would be just fine with a 3.73 gear set. I looked at your album pictures and you have a very nicely built BelAir Hardtop :)
You are right, the PO did eliminate the "c" clips and the way the 9"Ford axle bearings bolt in is really neat. Today I talked to the rear end builder and he said they probably did not put seals, because the car was going to be a drag car. He told me 1970 F-150 oil seals will work.

I'll look up the Eaton 12 bolt series 3 carrier and see what I can get one for.

This car looks better than it is. It has had too many Issues, but I'm in it, so I have to go with the flow.

I'm told the PO spent 58 k on this car, well if he did he really got beat.

I have the idle down to 1000 rpm, and thats about as low as I think it will go.

thanks

2 months ago I sold a really nice 38 packard street rod. I had the hots for a 57 chevy, well I got a 57 chevy. I'll posted a couple pictures of the packard.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Any standard Chevy 12 bolt car 3 series differential will work in that rear end with those axles. You can use the Eaton Posi, Duragrip, Detroit Locker, Truetrac or any of the other differentials that are available for it. The axles will not be an issue in this case. Be sure that you get bearings and shims with it so that you can set the backlash again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any standard Chevy 12 bolt car 3 series differential will work in that rear end with those axles. You can use the Eaton Posi, Duragrip, Detroit Locker, Truetrac or any of the other differentials that are available for it. The axles will not be an issue in this case. Be sure that you get bearings and shims with it so that you can set the backlash again.
Thanks, I'm glad I found this site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts