Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 si alternator but during the course of rebuilds, hack jobs ect.. I dont have a wire connected to terminal one. I have a terminal strip on the firewall powered from the bat. in the trunk, pink wire( not sure what size pink equates to), to bat post on alternator, to terminal strip, red wire (2) looped back to bat post on alternator. Everything has worked for years but I'd like to have the alternator system correct, there are no horn relays or anyhardware left but all the old wiring is intact under the dash, what hardware or wiring do I need to have the "voltage sensing", back or does it matter? Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 12 si alternator but during the course of rebuilds, hack jobs ect.. I dont have a wire connected to terminal one. I have a terminal strip on the firewall powered from the bat. in the trunk, pink wire( not sure what size pink equates to), to bat post on alternator, to terminal strip, red wire (2) looped back to bat post on alternator. Everything has worked for years but I'd like to have the alternator system correct, there are no horn relays or anyhardware left but all the old wiring is intact under the dash, what hardware or wiring do I need to have the "voltage sensing", back or does it matter? Thanks
that sounds correct, they just jumped the internal regulator with the one on the back of the alt. the one you dont have connected would be the idiot light on the dash.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Here is a link that might help
http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/10si.htm

#1 terminal goes to your dash light.

#2 goes to where ever you want to sense the voltage at. You can hook it straight to the bat terminal, but you will get better voltage control if you hook to your main junction (horn relay originally).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I'm investigating is the battery measures 12.4 volts at rest and the alternator measures 13.9 -14.0 volts, didn't measure the battery with the car running. If I took a long brown wire and ran it back to the trunk ( battery mounted there) would this increase the output of the alt. to closer to 14.5 volts?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The reason I'm investigating is the battery measures 12.4 volts at rest and the alternator measures 13.9 -14.0 volts, didn't measure the battery with the car running. If I took a long brown wire and ran it back to the trunk ( battery mounted there) would this increase the output of the alt. to closer to 14.5 volts?
i dont think it will increase you charging output, have you tested it with a load on it, not just running, such as turning the lights on. See what it charges at then. I think but am not totally sure, that the regulators are set to a certain amount, mine is a powermaster and set to 14.7. I mean seeing it at 14 is that on your gauge or do you have test meter. The gauge could be off a bit. Even at 14 the battery should be charging, and you havent had a problem so it would think it would be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Testing was done with a meter at the alt. with the electric fan and fuel pump on, I'll turn the lights on next. My autometer guage show's slightly over 12 volts all the time. I've been having stalling issues at low rpm and want to cover all the bases, I've been working on timing and carburation for a while, time to broaden my scope.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts