Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to drive my Dads 68 Mustang over to have coffee with Mom this morning and the left front tire started coming apart as soon as I hit the street. Anyone know of a readily available 205/70/14. Prefer to stay away from brands like Fuguwama. Car has Kelly Chargers now.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,857 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Found some 14" Firestones here: 14 Inch Tires | Tires by Size | Firestone Complete Auto Care

Not sure how old your tires are...But, it sounds like you better check
Knowing the tires age can not be understated. This has always been a major concern, especially with classic cars and rv’s that are not driven on a daily basis. Cars that are garaged won’t always show signs of dry rot cracking. The interior structural integrity of the tire will deteriorate with age. Most manufacturers recommend replacing after 8 years. Most people look at the tread and assume the tires are fairly new and still good. This mistake can prove deadly. You can decipher the date of manufacture by looking at the last numbers of the DOT# on the sidewall. It will show month and year of manufacture.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as age go's you guys are beating a dead horse these things are about 30 years old, have maybe 4 or 5k on them, always stored inside no windows.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I just changed the www's on my '55. They looked brand new. The tread was perfect. Problem was, they were 30 years old. Sad to see what appeared to be a perfectly good tire thrown away. Honestly, I never knew tires deteriorated until I started reading some threads here. I thought rubber was good forever. Good tread. Just use them. But, I now know differently. New tires are a cheap investment when it comes to safety, Carmine.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
There are numerous 205-14" tires, and if you can't locate any in 70 series, there's always 75 series. But if your tire store has neither, I'd find another tire store, as this isn't a tough size to find, even in limited 14" offerings.
Perelli, BF Goodrich, Firestone, Hankook, all list this size.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really do not care what any arm chair QB think the age of my tires, that is not what I asked, I have forgot more about old cars that you ever knew. The car is parked waiting for me to find new skins.

·
Premium Member
10,535 Posts
The old stand by, BFGoodrich sells a p215-70 tire in a 14 inch rims size. Tires made 30 years ago were made differently then today. Today’s rubber and tire compounds are not made To last like they use to. Does Kelly even make tires any more. I had Kelly Chargers on the 57 when I dragged it out of the garage in 2012 after a 13 or 14 year slumber. Those tires probably did not have 2000 miles on them But we’re easily 20 years old or better. did not matter, I wanted safe so it was time to change them all and be safe. I don’t think we need another tragedy like we had at last years nationals.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BFG has been hit and miss for years on availability. I ran into a piece of steel in driveway with my 55 and waited a month for a new 215/70/15 to arrive. I have found lots of on Ebay just never heard of brands.

·
Premium Member
10,535 Posts
I don’t know where you get your tires from but I bought mine from pep boys on line and they came delivered on time right to my door.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I don’t think it was anyone’s intention to play arm chair QB. In your original post you did not state that you were looking to replace all of the tires. You mention that you had one tire fail and you ask about the availability of that size. It kind of sounded like you were looking to replace that one and match the size of the others. In this case, I would assume that there is a good chance the remaining tires would be in like kind condition. If my reply in anyway offended you, I apologize. I don’t doubt that you may know more about cars than I or anyone else that has replied. But I have spend a good portion of my life in the tire industry and have witnessed first hand the devastating results of those that choose to run tires that should not be on the road. When this happens, it is often innocent persons in other vehicles that pay the price. When you ask a question about the availability of a tire size that is still readily available in a multiple of options, One might assume that you are not particularly as versed when it comes to tire knowledge. After what happened at Nationals, I could not in good conscious refrain from sharing what I may know.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Tirerack.com has a General for $80.00 TA for $142 a bit pricey as are all BFG TA's. Or you can go with a Pirelli for $247

·
Premium Member
10,535 Posts
The best I can find was on eBay at 136 shipped for p 205 70 14 for the rwl bfg.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
When looking for tires for my current project I actually found them at Walmart online of all places, and cheaper than anywhere else. I ordered them and two days later was notified by email the tires were at the store ready for pickup. Couldn't have been any easier no matter where I looked.
I had a local mobile tire guy who does tire mounting and balancing at your home. He backed his box van into my driveway and 30 minutes later, and $50 later,he had all four tires mounted and balanced.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found some Hankook tires on Ebay worth the money, not proud of the decision, but they too will rot off the car. As far a Walmart tires go I run them on my beater Buick 4dr. I have a Coats 40-40 in the garage. A local shop spin balances $5 each.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I bought some Uniroyal Tiger Paws. Thought they were American. They have China stamped on the side. Gotta do your research if you really want a domestic product these days. Amazing how many trailer tires pop up when looking at 14" tires. I actually saw some on a car in the parking lot a while back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts