Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on here that a couple of others have had to grind down the nubs to get stock hub caps to fit on the 14" rims that are made for disc brakes.
http://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?Search=12147&Item=12147

Normally I just use my hand to put the hub caps on, but the new rim was so tight that I had to bang it on with a rubber mallet after grinding on the nubs. Last week my hub cap fell off. I grinded some more and it fit better, but I still needed a mallet to get it on.

This morning my hub cap fell off again and I could not find it. :(

So has anyone had luck with these? Should I keep grinding until I can get it on by hand and it will stay?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The nubs may be out of position. Use black marker to check where the nubs line up with the wheel cover cut outs. The wheel covers are always perfect. The nubs on mine are off a bit and require extra force or a mallet to get them to seat. My first set were so far off they had to be returned and replaced. Very marginal quality on the Danchuk wheels. Nowhere near as good and as true as factory wheels.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The nubs may be out of position. Use black marker to check where the nubs line up with the wheel cover cut outs. The wheel covers are always perfect. The nubs on mine are off a bit and require extra force or a mallet to get them to seat. My first set were so far off they had to be returned and replaced. Very marginal quality on the Danchuk wheels. Nowhere near as good and as true as factory wheels.
I have the CPP min. offset disc front brakes as sold by Danchuk on my '57. I also use the Danchuk 14" wheels as required. The hubcaps are very difficult to fit - very, very tight - and as well I have to use extended valve stems. I didn't grind any on the wheels but the hubcaps fit with the grip of doom.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the CPP min. offset disc front brakes as sold by Danchuk on my '57. I also use the Danchuk 14" wheels as required. The hubcaps are very difficult to fit - very, very tight - and as well I have to use extended valve stems. I didn't grind any on the wheels but the hubcaps fit with the grip of doom.
I could not get the hub cap on before I ground them down. I did get it on once before the tire was put on it on a flat surface, but it was impossible on the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts