Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they all one manufacturer ?? Bought one about 10 years ago and had to redo the chrome . Wheel was OK but sanded for hours before painting. Thinking they probably have not improved a bit.
I have read they need to be modified for the horn and signal to work . The one I have did not but like I say I ha e had it for a while. thanks for any input.

Sharkey

·
Administrator
64,540 Posts
Not sure if your aware but there is a member 55wagoncrazy (Mikey) who has modified the steering wheels in the past.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I could never get the damn horn to work consistently on my 15" repo wheel so I shelved the damn thing. Too bad as it really was a nice looking piece.

·
Administrator
64,540 Posts
I could never get the damn horn to work consistently on my 15" repo wheel so I shelved the damn thing. Too bad as it really was a nice looking piece.
Wouldn't be hard to work out where the problems are so you can enjoy the smaller wheel.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Me either. After trying probably 10 hours total at differnet times, I too took the damn thing off. Just cant get the horn to work properly. I consider it a safety item and don't need a " may be it will blow" situation. The convex spring is too cheap also. The factory one works well but the adjustment is still too iffy.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,792 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Wouldn't be hard to work out where the problems are so you can enjoy the smaller wheel.
Agreed, those horn rings are fiddly...took me about three hours to finally set mine up correctly but it was worth it. On most of them the supplied three-post plastic insulator is sized incorrectly and needs to be shimmed; I found some small nylon washers that worked perfectly.

Just saying, it might be worth the effort, although it is frustrating that they don't work out of the box.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Agreed, those horn rings are fiddly...took me about three hours to finally set mine up correctly but it was worth it. On most of them the supplied three-post plastic insulator is sized incorrectly and needs to be shimmed; I found some small nylon washers that worked perfectly.

Just saying, it might be worth the effort, although it is frustrating that they don't work out of the box.
I had the same problem getting the horn to work right. Finally figured out that u have to cut down to size that small metal pin. Works like a charm now.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I had the same problem getting the horn to work right. Finally figured out that u have to cut down to size that small metal pin. Works like a charm now.
just to clarify for others...The metal pin is used on the later or after market columns like ididit etc. The pin isn't used on the factory style.

Reactions: kbuhagiar

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
just to clarify for others...The metal pin is used on the later or after market columns like ididit etc. The pin isn't used on the factory style.
Correct...I have an Ididit column and I had to shorten my contact pin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts