Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the Reproduction 15" steering wheel for a '56. Mine has the 18" wheel currently, and is pretty darn big. Have any of you swapped out for the smaller one? And if so, how do you like it? My car does have ps, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I see the smaller wheel advertised in several places. I assume they are all made by the same manufacturer. Price is about the same everywhere.

Any experience or opinions are welcome.

thanks,

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I have been using a 15” wheel for years first without p/s and it was tough at a dead stop but once moving it was fine. Now last spring I put in p/s and it is a dream, so no problem with a 15” wheel

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
problems with the smaller stering wheel

I've been looking at the Reproduction 15" steering wheel for a '56. Mine has the 18" wheel currently, and is pretty darn big. Have any of you swapped out for the smaller one? And if so, how do you like it? My car does have ps, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I see the smaller wheel advertised in several places. I assume they are all made by the same manufacturer. Price is about the same everywhere.

thanks,
I discovered that they put the cancelling camhole in the wrong location, hopefully they have fixed that by now but installing my wheel to a CJ's Rod's and Custom tilt column was a major job
Gary

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
I have a 15" on my Ididit column and I love it. I did have to have a new hole drilled to cancel the turn signals as Muncieman mentioned. Other than that, it installed very easily.

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand.
8,023 Posts
I also have a '57 Chev. 15" wheel fitted to the Ididit column in my Pontiac, and it sure looks great on the car. The cancelling cam hole was correct on this wheel, but it sure was a pig to get the horn working correctly via the horn ring.

As usual plenty of advice from some knowledgeable members on this forum helped me out, and it now works great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks guys, to each of you.

Based on the feedback, I'm going to push forward and order a new wheel. Hopefully it will have the turn signal issue solved, but if not, at least I have a head's up about it.

Not totally sure, but think this car has an ididit column. Is there an easy way to confirm that?

thanks again.
Don

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Hey thanks guys, to each of you.

Based on the feedback, I'm going to push forward and order a new wheel. Hopefully it will have the turn signal issue solved, but if not, at least I have a head's up about it.

Not totally sure, but think this car has an ididit column. Is there an easy way to confirm that?

thanks again.
Don
If you pull the steering wheel off, there might be a tag with the manufacturers name on it. I'd pull my wheel to look at my Ididit but the horn is a female dog and I paid $60 to a guy to get it right.:bowtier:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
57 Tim

Please don't pull that wheel off. I don't want another $60 on the tab.

I will likely have pay the repair shop to make my swap. Just don't have the experience or courage to try myself. For just the reason yo mention. The horn or turn signals would likely never work again.

thanks for the help.

Don

·
Registered
100 Posts
identifying an ididit column

Don,

A few things to help out with identifying an ididit column.

1. the four way flasher hole on an ididit has and always will be round not D shaped

2. if it was made in the last 7 years it will have a serial number on a silver and red tag in the head of the column which is usually easy to see right beside the turn signal switch

3. ididit columns use a white horn/ cancelling cam

4. if you visit our website we have a video dedicated to identifying ididit columns.

if any one has any questions as identifying their column as an ididit. please contact us by phone or email and we will be happy to help.

Kyle Sutherland
Sales
ididit Incorporated
610 S. Maumee St.
Tecumseh, MI 49286
Ph. 517-424-0577
Fax 517-424-7293

ididit’s got a brand spankin’ NEW website!
Go to www.ididitinc.com and check it out today!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Get ididit's little spacer ring kit to help close up the gap you'll have between the base of the wheel and top of the column.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Get ididit's little spacer ring kit to help close up the gap you'll have between the base of the wheel and top of the column.

Charlie
On my car the spacer ring was too thick or my gap was small so I couldn't use the spacer. I have a black wheel and black column so the black gap is non even noticeable. The column is Ididit tilt, paintable and the wheel is 15" 59 Impala.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again guys for your help and feed back. The new wheel came Thursday and it looks great. Just a smaller version of the original. The car is currently at body shop getting door adjustment.

Next on the list is the wheel swap.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Don D

·
Registered
257 Posts
I bought the 15" repro wheel for my 55 only because the seats that are currently in the car are to tall off the floor putting me to close to the steering wheel and my left knee would hit the door handle opening it at inappropriate times when I went for the clutch.. steering, clutching, shifting and then trying to yank the door back closed at the same time makes for an embarrassing ride!
My repro wheel left a large gap between the stock column and the back of the wheel, my horn didn't work with the other wheel neither did the turn signaling setup or the right turn signal either, so I couldn't say if the wheel is made properly regarding the holes drilled correctly.
It is hard to steer with the manual box but the extra space is well worth the effort. I'd like power steering, but the complication there gets me to places I don't want to work on yet.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Heads up

thanks,
I bought my 15 inch wheel a year and a half ago and no one told me anything about it. It turned out that the cancelling cam hole was drilled in the wrong place and won't work. So they came up with this fix. There are two holes drilled and tapped in this steering wheel hub to be used in conjuxtion with a puller to remover the steering wheel from the car. It turned out that one of there hole was in the correct place for the cancelling cam. So modification is the fix. You have to turn the wheel unside down and with the correct drill bit, drill into one of the threaded holes for the puller. (you are upside down so make sure you drill the correct hole. Take some carefull measurements here by only drilling thru about 3/4 the way thru saving the remaining 1/4 of the threads so to still be able to use the puller. Might think about putting tape on the drill bit at the right length. Now when you get that done again take careful measurements andn cut off a portion of the plastic cancelling cam so that it will fit in the hole. (Aren't the Chinese great at making steering wheeels?)
This is not all and it is difficult to explain. I did not get it the first three times someone told me. When assembling the horn parts the white or clear plastic piece is critical and normally will have to be filed down so to be able to rock on the wheel. Also the copper buttom is generally too ,long and has to be cut to size. So when you assemble everything and the horn don't work, take it apart again and file/sand on the plastic piece with the three bites taken from it. If you have some working knowledge of the horn you are ahead of the game. Also beware of the combination steering column and steering wheel that you use. For example the 1969 impala wheel is a deep dish wheel which pushed the wheel back into your cest 5-6 inches. I had to move my front seat back. What ever you do, do not paint this wheel until after you get it working.
So look around and se if you vcan find a wheel that has been manufactureds correctly to begin with
Good luck

Kind regards Gary

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I am glad to hear all of this discussion.
I want a 15 inch steering wheel and a new column. But I don't want any turn signal issues.
John

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been watching this thread too and I was almost gonna pull the trigger and get a repo 15 inch wheel but I'm a little concerned with all the headaches you guys seem to have with whatever chinese company is making these things. Instead of 350.00ish for that thing I think I'll just do something cool from Grant or Driven or some other aftermarket steering wheel company.

·
Registered
37,986 Posts
An option to the small wheel is to make a "medium" diameter wheel, or have one made. Stock wheels are 18" diameter and most 60s wheels are 16-1/2" diameter. What you do is cut the rim off the original wheel and the 60s donor. The inner structure of the wheels is round steel bar. Trim the new rim down to the steel bar, and trim the spokes to length. Weld the steel bar, then use epoxy (Marine Tex or JB Weld) on the joints just like you'd do to repair a cracked stock wheel. Finish it off with bondo and automotive paint.

You end up with a better looking wheel and can use the stock horn ring.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you pull the steering wheel off, there might be a tag with the manufacturers name on it. I'd pull my wheel to look at my Ididit but the horn is a female dog and I paid $60 to a guy to get it right.:bowtier:
I am also interested in replcing my stock steering wheel, what it the procedure for taking the old (OEM) steering wheel off? My ride has the original steering column as well.
Any help would be appreciated.:bowtier:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I am also interested in replcing my stock steering wheel, what it the procedure for taking the old (OEM) steering wheel off? My ride has the original steering column as well.
Any help would be appreciated.:bowtier:
You can borrow a steering wheel puller from most auto arts stores. The shop manual has the procedure after you take the horn button or ring off, depending on the model. ..... http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955/55csm0907.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got the new wheel installed along with Dakota Digital Gauges. The wheel gives you a little more room and still looks original. A 16" might actually be a tad nicer. Quite a difference between 18" and 15". But it steers fine with power steering. All in all, I like it.

By the way, I now have a newly restored 18" wheel for sale if anyone is interested. Will post it in the classifieds soon.

Don D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts