Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I am buying some "dagger" billit specialty wheels at louiville Kentucky this weekend. I ordered some 17x7 wheels with the minimum back spacing. which is 4 inches. Will my stock rear end fit these wheels, I have disc brakes up front so I tink I am ok there. What do you all think will 17x7 with a 4inch back space work on my 1955 chevy?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
tire and rim size

I tried to use the "calculater" and I don't think I am doing it right. I have went back and read some of the posts on this subject. Alot of you guy's have used 18 inch wheels. I have seen a couple of 56 chevies around here with 18 and 20 inche wheels on board. I figure 17 would be easier. I am chabging my wheels because it is very hard to find 15 inche wheels at the typical tire stores around here. They need to be odered.

I know some of you guy's must be running a 17x7 with P215 55 17 front and a 17x7 with P225 55 17 rear 4 inche backspacing all the way around.

·
Registered
36,118 Posts
The calculator doesn't know the difference between a 17" wheel and an 18" wheel, or any other diameter because that doesn't make a difference.

In front, ride height is critical because the lower your car is, the more likely you will have rubbing. The other critical thing is what spindle and brake package you have because they vary in how far they move the wheels outboard relative to stock.

In general, a 17x7x4.5 backspace is going to be the "normal" recommendation when you use dropped spindles, the typical brake package on them, and 225 wide tires. A 215 tire would gain you about .200" more clearance. The big key here is do you have stock spindles with the typical brake package?

In the back, I think you'll be good if you have a stock rear. You'll have plenty of clearance and can go to a bigger tire if you like.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brake package

Thanks for replying, I changed my brake package about a year ago. I was using the stock spindle on a kit I got from CCI. I later bought a kit that Pirate put out. They said that their kit did not set the wheels out and I used their 2 inche dropped spindles and removed the 2 inche dropped coils springs. I installed stock spings. The front end used to bounce to much however now it does not. I also install a front sway bar.

I bought my wheels when I built the car 20 years ago and knew nothing about backspacing. My wheels are dated so Now I want to upgrade to these "billit wheels" They should bring the car into the 21 century.

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Thanks for replying, I changed my brake package about a year ago. I was using the stock spindle on a kit I got from CCI. I later bought a kit that Pirate put out. They said that their kit did not set the wheels out and I used their 2 inche dropped spindles and removed the 2 inche dropped coils springs. I installed stock spings. The front end used to bounce to much however now it does not. I also install a front sway bar.

I bought my wheels when I built the car 20 years ago and knew nothing about backspacing. My wheels are dated so Now I want to upgrade to these "billit wheels" They should bring the car into the 21 century.
:anim_25: and keep us posted too

·
Registered
58 Posts
I run a 17x7 with a 225/45/17 on the front and 17x8 with a 245/45/17 on the rear. I am lowered 3 inches on the front and 2 inches on the rear, fit really nice and dont rub at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts