Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
thanks that spare tire just does not work the next thing to do is recover those running boards have the new rubber just don't know what glue to use have you put new rubber on running boards before
Just a thought on that - and I'll admit I'm not familiar with how the rubber covers work on the early Mopars - on my '38 Chevy I eliminated the rubber and the underlying metal sheet they were glued to...both of which then fastened to the actual running board. I fabbed a new metal sheet in the shape of the original (same shape as the rubber), welded some studs on the bottom to secure it to the running board - then had the top coated with bed liner. Now I've got a running board surface that's indestructible, useable, easy to clean, and was fairly cheap to make.
JR

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
The simplest, and best adhesive is 3M trim adhesive. It's waterproof, and does an excellent job, IF you prep the metal well. The painted metal on your running boards will actually be a detriment to good adhesion as the adhesive will eventually pull the paint up, and then the rubber will begin to bubble and let go.
You should either sand it to bare metal, or blast it to bare metal first. Then be sure to degrease the rubber with laquer thinner or some other degreaser, before installing them. Coat both the running board, and the rubber with the adhesive, but not all at once! It dries very fast, so align the rubber, and roll it back to do about 1 ft. at a time. Once it's glued down you can tape it in place, and work your way down the running board 1 ft. at a time until it's done.
JR's bedliner works much better, but many people like the look of the original style mat better. I personally am torn between the two methods. I like the original look better, but I also like the longevity of bedliner.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
thanks guys I will try the 3m on a scrap piece and see how it goes I will look into the bedlinner idea

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
Very nice hot rod, that paint job turned out fantastic! Classic colors.
I vote for the rubbers on running boards. I bet you have checked tahoe55's mopar hot rod?

·
Registered
864 Posts
The rubber running board go well with your roof since it looks like you went with the original type of insert, that's the look I'm going after as well. Was the roof kit one from Juliano"s or something different.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
hi tahoe1955 the roof insert has not changed by me but has been sometime the car looks like someone restored it in 1970's and the roof insert is still in good shape but the running boards are original rubber and are flaking off so they will need new rubber

21 - 27 of 27 Posts