Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got back from a 2200 mile round trip to San Diego, Ca to pick up a 1948 Wurlitzer Model# 1100 jukebox to restore for myself. I restored a 1947 Wurlitzer model# 1080 about 30 years ago and still have it. They both play 78 RPM records. These are so cool in association with our (Tri5) cars. Anybody else involved in this or a similar hobby? This should keep me busy and broke for a while. Pictures are "before" and what it will look like when finished. Dave

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,206 Posts
Man that's a super looking machine Dave.....Beautiful restoration :):tu

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WOW!!! Those are so K:):)L... Later, Dave

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Nice!! Even as is pic looks like it's in great condition!! Love it!! :tu

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Juke Boxes For Sale...

Simply stunning! Not to pry too much, but what would a restored one cost to purchase??
Mike, I've looked into these for our gameroom, check out this web-site below, it'll give you a pretty good idea what to expect cost wise, they run anywhere from 2 - 10k, depending on age and features... :cool:

And Dave, that's really incredible looking restoration, very nice !!

http://www.thepinballcompany.com/jukeboxes.aspx

·
Registered
510 Posts
i remember those well. i also remember as a very young guy sitting and staring at some that had bubbles that moved in the neon. those are beautiful!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
My wife and I have some friends that are really "in" to mid-century modern architecture, furnishings, clothing etc. Last year they bought a '50s era Wurlitzer , completely restored, plays 45's they paid $4500 for it(sans records) at a Modernism show in Palm Springs and then about $500 for shipping and handling to have it sent back here. Their gameroom/basement looks like a House and Garden layout from a mid-fifties magazine article. Some of the most uncomfortable furniture I have ever sat upon:). They even have one of those old silver aluminum Christmas trees with the rotating colored light shining on it they use at Christmas time

I really like the old Wurlitzers and wouldn't mind having one if I had someplace to put it and it had modern electronics in it with the capabilty to play cds,i-pod or mpc3:sign0020: You ever tried to find decent 45's let alone 78's?... yikes they are pricey today from what I've seen.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, I've looked into these for our gameroom, check out this web-site below, it'll give you a pretty good idea what to expect cost wise, they run anywhere from 2 - 10k, depending on age and features... :cool:

And Dave, that's really incredible looking restoration, very nice !!

http://www.thepinballcompany.com/jukeboxes.aspx
I noticed that the website has reproduction jukes but no original ones. The originals are usually higher in price. The reproduction ones are a lot more user friendly and you have more choices in music (C-D, MP3, IPOD, Etc.). I just like the nostalgia of the originals. Dave

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe
895 Posts
I had a SeeburgW100 and Wallbox but recently sold it. I also have a Wurlitzer OMT and about 3200 sorted 45's, plus many more to sort and go through. Glad to see someone else in the hobby on this forum.

Doug

·
Registered
67,335 Posts
:party0024: beauty dave!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jukeboxes

yes I have jukeboxes too. Ready for this I have 16 jukeboxes, 1950s and 60s. Wurltizers, seeburgs, rockolas. I also have 2 wallboxes. One wallbox is in the kitchen and the other in the bathroom. I have 6 jukeboxes in the living room, its a big room. One in each bedrooms and a couple in the garage. I have restored all of them, my brother comes here Christmas and goes crazy with all my jukeboxes. He want my best jukeboxes that has nothing but my high school 45s Elvis records on it. It takes me back to the good times, 50s-60s. Im a single man thats why I can get away with all this madness. LOL Cars , women and Jukeboxes. :sign0020:

·
Registered
6 Posts
78's

My mother passed away a year ago this past april. She had tons of the old 78's! We had no idea what to do with them so they ended up going to goodwill. If only a person could have found someone connected to the music at that time! I know you would have enjoyed some of them.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I've got a Rock-ola bubble jukebox that plays CD's. My wife bought it for my 50th. birthday 9 years ago. Back then She paid $6K for it. You could have bowled me over with a feather when the truck pulled up with it. It was a complete surprise. I (and my grandchildren) love it to death! It's a great addition to our family room.

Don

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have been wanting one of those since I was old enough to know what one is. Long before I wanted a 55 Chevy! It's still on my bucket list to own one.
Funny story...I was at the bowling ally with the wife and kids the other day and my 9 year old daughter asked for a quarter to put in the jew box. I laughed.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I can't recall ever seeing one this ornate Dave. My memories is of the the one's in the fifties that had a jet plane look to them. I myself have a floor model Zenith radio, from nineteen thirty six. It doesn't play, but I'm hoping once the Chevy is on the road, and not so much into my wallet, I can get her up and working.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts