Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Trifive Newsletter Editor
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently replaced my 1956 4BC Rochester "7008737" with a Edelbrock 1406. The newer model carbs have a different size opening so I modified my air cleaner to fit the new carb. Due to the adapter I used and the new clearances required for the fuel line and electric choke I also needed to be able to set the height where I needed it.

I cut the bottom of the original air cleaner large enough to fit a 1" plastic spacer into it. I then got the height the way I wanted and used black RTV to fill in the inside and let it dry overnight. The next day I drilled four holes and used rivets to make sure it would never move. Once it was ready to mount I cut down the original stud and test fit everything.

I also decided to not use the oil bath air cleaner element and upgrade to a E-3650 (E3650) K&N Filter. Jalapeno gave me the K&N Air Filter number for the 1955-1956 4 bbl replacement. Once I made the cut on the inside of the snorkel with a Dremel everything fit as it should. Thank you again Jalapeno!

I am very happy since I still get the stock look and the increased flow of a K&N filter.

·
Registered
67,793 Posts
nice job, that came out great. :tu

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,749 Posts
Great work Tim :):congrats:

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
... And here's how it goes on a 57 4 barrel.

Just the top of the oil bath element is used, after being cut off at the seam. Very simple, and nice that the old top becomes the perfect seal and clam for the new 3x10" filter.

(Just fitted it today.)

·
Registered
106 Posts
E3650 filter element

I have a '56 with a 4 barrel. Same oil bath air cleaner housing as yours. I still want to keep the original Rochester in. Does this K&N (E3650) fit SNUG inside the air cleaner assembly? I'm thinking of replacing the old metal filter because it seems to be dirtying up my carburetor from what looks like steel wool particles. I tried a FRAM (PF131?), and it was loose as a goose in there!

Another question, in regards to the glass bowl fuel filter; what side goes to the carburetor? The "IN", or the "OUT?"

·
Trifive Newsletter Editor
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a '56 with a 4 barrel. Same oil bath air cleaner housing as yours. I still want to keep the original Rochester in. Does this K&N (E3650) fit SNUG inside the air cleaner assembly?

Another question, in regards to the glass bowl fuel filter; what side goes to the carburetor? The "IN", or the "OUT?"
The K&N fits perfectly. "IN" is from the fuel pump and "OUT" is to the carb.

How big a piece did you have to cut out of the snorkel?
Maybe a half inch in to get everything to fit right. I used a Sharpie and drew it out first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts