Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone sell a rebuilt direct replacement for the Rochester 2gc carb , and makes a decent replacement fuel pump ? I'm fighting a flat spot on acceleration from a stop. We adjust some linkage, and thought it was ok , but came back. This all started from the car dieing on me with out any warning, ( say for the gas pedal felling funny to me be it died) So it would crank but not fire off, couldn't smell any gas or see it squirt in the carb. Do I have maye some linkage issues ? We played with the linkage, poured some gas in the carb, and it went to wide open throttle, shut it off fast. played with linkage again to a point, did it again. The third time, we got to idle( a little high for me) It ran (flat spot at first) then had full acceleration with out a problem. But still a flat spot, if I feather the gas pedal it's ok but. I was running great before... argh pulling my hair out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The was gone over back in April of 2010 , by a great little shop here in Washington. It was fine with no problems up till this last Friday. I was able to find the rebuild kit for it from Baxter's Auto Parts here, I think maybe it's just worn out maybe? throttle shaft ? hmm .. I was going to see if it would fire off this afternoon and see what happens. It's now Sunday and has sit since I had problems. Trying to make to the NW Classic Chevy Club annual show on Issaquah,Wa. Maybe I should find another carb, and go over it.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,394 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same engine on my '56. I got the cheap-o from eckler's classic chevy... cost me somewhere around $50 or $60? anyways, it was a GREAT buy, and I've had several grey beards ask about it and say that it was a good buy.

As far as the sputtering, I had that with my rochester 2 barrel too. It'd seem fine, but when I tried to take off, it would stall out. I ended up getting fed up with it and tried to replace it with an Edelbrock from O'Reilley Auto Parts. I snapped off the last stud and broke a drill bit off of inside while trying to drill it out. Needless to say it was a bad day. Out of frusteration, I spent money I didn't have on an Edelbrock intake. Installed it, and I was off and running for the first time that same afternoon!!! (the first time the car had been reliably running in 20 years... but it felt great none the less...)

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,394 Posts
I have the same engine on my '56. I got the cheap-o from eckler's classic chevy... cost me somewhere around $50 or $60? anyways, it was a GREAT buy, and I've had several grey beards ask about it and say that it was a good buy.
Grey beards.....I think I resemble that remark :eek:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I had the same problem with the Rochester 2GC in my car. It had set for 30 years and pieces of the old accelerator pump piston had to be physically scraped from the bore in the main body of the carb. After thoroughly cleaning the carb and installing a new kit it ran good for about a week before the accelerator pump quit working. The engine would stumble, backfire through the carb, and even die when taking off from a stop.

I installed another kit with a new accelerator pump and it worked for about a week before that pump quit working. The accelerator pump spring just wouldn’t provide enough pressure to move the piston in the bore. I tried smoothing out the bore with ultra fine sandpaper and installed several new pump pistons. Every time I changed the accelerator pump it would work perfect for about a week and then quit.

I finally bought another identical 2GC carburetor on ebay and used the best parts from my original carb and this new carb to make one good carb. I used the main body from the ebay carb and the accelerator pump has worked perfect ever since. You couldn't tell from looking at it, but I believe there was something wrong with the accelerator pump bore in my original carb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts