Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Otis, anyway I can help you get your ride done just let me know and I will try to help when I am not trying to finish mine...lol. This should be alot of fun and will be my first road trip in the 57 (if it is done).
Bruce, I rented a cabin down there over new years last year and it was very nice. It was about $800 for 4 days and 3 nights for a 13 person cabin but was great. I hope alot of you guys can be there.
Otis, maybe we can all swing by the booth so we can get a head count. I'll help out with the booth as long as someone watches my car...lol.
Josh

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Otis, anyway I can help you get your ride done just let me know and I will try to help when I am not trying to finish mine...lol. This should be alot of fun and will be my first road trip in the 57 (if it is done).
Bruce, I rented a cabin down there over new years last year and it was very nice. It was about $800 for 4 days and 3 nights for a 13 person cabin but was great.
I hope alot of you guys can be there.
Otis, maybe we can all swing by the booth so we can get a head count. I'll help out with the booth as long as someone watches my car...lol.
Josh

Josh, the whole reason we are so excited to go to eastern TN is because my wife and I rented a cabin a year ago October for 12 days. We didn't want to leave. :eek:

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
"Best Battery Box"....good one!:rolleyes:
Sweden, that might work if I had a Sedan Delivery...:D

I've got a cabin reserved. Just a few minutes outside of Pigeon Forge.
http://www.moorecabinrentals.com/
Maybe we could gather there one day and have a cook out!
Now, I've never been to this cabin before, so I'll need to find out about parking.
For all I know there's a steep drive and room for only one car.
(hard to tell from the pics)
I'll find out though, I work with the owner.:tu

·
Vendor
990 Posts
I think I should by property over there, I’m going to be back and forth 2-3 shows and races wow. First The TriFive meet then back in September for the “Run Through the Hills 4” Pro-touring event over there. Look forward to seeing you all there.

-Russell

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I think my wife has her heart set on a cabin again also. I better find out before I commit to a hotel :eek:
Now it would be really something if you got a cabin next door to us.
I don't know the name of the road or anything yet so I can't tell you where it is.
Just that the cabin is called "Inspiration Point".

Hey Russel, is the Run Through the Hills on the dragon's tail?

·
Vendor
990 Posts
Now it would be really something if you got a cabin next door to us.
I don't know the name of the road or anything yet so I can't tell you where it is.
Just that the cabin is called "Inspiration Point".

Hey Russel, is the Run Through the Hills on the dragon's tail?
Its at the 411 Drag Strip and then next door on the next day for the autocross. I don't know where the cruse takes place.

I don't know if your wife would be happy to have a cabin full of rowdy dudes in their 20’s out looking for trouble on the streets. Where going to be in a town where the cops don’t know who we are or where my shop is. That way they can’t just meet you back there because they know they can’t catch you. I could see us having drifting competition around the cabins. I told a few of my friends about the Chevy show that I have to go to in May and they all scream “ROAD TRIP.” So my buddy Kelly, my co driver / camera man / tire warmer will be with me (he also works part time for me and works on my website so he’s good on information so I take him to car shows) a few other friends with their ricers probably, and one buddy with a 700 HP LS1 in a 67 Camaro if it’s done. I’m sure we’ll be making noise one way or another. :D

-Russell

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
The cabin I stayed in was on the top of the mountain overlooking PF. The roads are blacktopped but are 1 car wide with no gaurd rail:D. It is amazing that they build these cabins in those places. I did not want to leave either. The cabin was about 5 min. from the strip and very easy to get to. This time down we are staying at a hotel since it is a short stay but we do plan to rent another cabin down there sometime soon. Very nice views, hot tubs, pool tables, fireplaces - what more could you ask for:D. But this time my ride will be with me so I need to make sure it is safe. That's why I rented rooms yesterday at a hotel with security:D. Got to keep the girl safe. I know Ronnie's 55 will be there and a few others so it should be alot of fun. I am excited and am pushing hard to get my car done or at least driveable. It may not be completed so no laughing:D. I hope to see alot of you there. As we get closer to the show we might want to get a head count so we can meet up with everyone and make sure everyone gets there safe. Maybe we can ride in packs so we can help others out if problems come up.
Josh

·
Registered
30 Posts
Spring Rod Run

OK, I am once again confused:D Is the 32nd annual trifive show part of a bigger car show that weekend? or is that two different things going on in different places? The web site doesn't mention the trifive show, but talks about a huge rod run:confused::confused::confused::confused: Speak slow to me please:D

Randy
I live at the foot of the Smokies, (Murphy, NC) and try to attend the spring run and fall run. It's only about an hour from where I live. Actually this car show covers a whole town and a big one at that. There is a pavillion in the center of town (MGM Grand Hotel) that holds the most prestigious cars but the way the town is set up people park their cars all along the whole street for people to look at. They come from everywhere even with vendors. In the fall they have 2 shows a week apart. One is called "Shades of the Past". It is for the older cars ("A" models etc.). A week later they have the regular "Fall Rod Run". There is shopping and motels right along the strip. If you get tired of walking and looking at the cars you can set on the balcony of your room and watch them being driven. Some people have cabins for rent but you have to act early because they go fast. I know this sounds like an advertising pitch but it is just this way.

Hope this helps explain.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I've been to "Shades" a couple times. The first time by accident.
We were camping in the Smokeys and started seeing all these streetrods about mid week.
By the weekend, there were a million (seemed like) cars all over the place.
It was great. We went back a few years later just to attend the car show.
One thing we should plan is a trip on the Tail of the Dragon.
I've been wanting to do that for years. Not time trials, no, the cops will bite you hard, but just a nice drive down/up a twisty turny mountian road.

Here's a couple movies that were made on parts of the Dragon:
The first feature film made on US 129 was Thunder Road. This 1958 Robert Mitchum film about backwoods moonshining actually had scenes filmed on the Dragon. One location that we can identify is at the power line easement at about mile 4.5 on the Dragon map and you can see the old wooden "safety" posts on the open corner. A couple of the posts still remain.

Darrin Roberts told us that part of the 1971 classic movie Two-Lane Blacktop was filmed on the Dragon. There are scenes of the state line sign, some of the curves, and the original single lane bridge at Tapoco *** (assumed expletive-won't print: structure that holds back water.j55). There are also scenes along 129 on the Little Tennessee River. We were amazed to see the original Deal's Gap diner and Esso gas station in the film too. These scenes are at the end of the movie.

Here's a page with links to tons of stuff about the Dragon.
Especially look at the driving tips, law, and truckers.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html

·
Vendor
990 Posts
Any good camping grounds around there. I'm a serious backpacker in my spare time (so not in the last 4 years) and I think I would rather stay outside. Higher altitudes have amazing night sky's. Plus its hard to sneak off with that car and I can sleep next to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S-KyShZiKg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any good camping grounds around there. I'm a serious backpacker in my spare time (so not in the last 4 years) and I think I would rather stay outside. Higher altitudes have amazing night sky's. Plus its hard to sneak off with that car and I can sleep next to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S-KyShZiKg
There is any kind of trail you might be looking for.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Townsend, TN has a couple nice campgrounds.
Hookups, bath house etc.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If my 57 is finished i will try to make this show. It is going slow now til i get medal work finished, and then the body work begins. Asa

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I have not been able to find a website for the Smoky Mountian Classic Chevy Club.
Do they have one?
Do I have to preregister?
Found it.
Someone probably has listed this link already but here it is again.
Still says 2007
http://www.smokymtnclassicchevy.org/
I just shot the webmaster an email asking if there is a up to date page.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
UPDATE 12-29-08
I heard back from the webmaster yesterday.
He said the up to date page should be ready 1-3-09.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts