Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to raise the back of the car up 2-3 inches and was thinking air shocks to accomplish this.

What are the pros and cons to air shocks as opposed to reversing the shackels (some say it will raise the car 2" others say it will not).

What else can be done to raise it up a bit?

It sits just a tad below level and I prefer a 2-3" rake on the car.

Thanks,

Rick
"55" Hardtop

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,424 Posts
With air shocks or helper spring shocks, you'll want to put in a shock bar. A spring shop can re-arch your springs also. You can get longer shackles, but I haven't heard of reverseing the originals. I can't see that that would do anything except bottom them out.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Or you can buy new springs set up to lift the rear. I know that JC Whitney sells a "high lift" spring that some here have used. Good luck!

·
Registered
539 Posts
for you to get 2 in. lift you will run 60 psi or more.. You will feel the tear end be more bumpy unless your running a full tank of gas... Its kinda like a pick up truck with out a load... Its a cheap try. see if you like it and let us know.

·
Registered
66,314 Posts
hi rick. try the search option above. lots of posts on this. :anim_25:

·
Registered
817 Posts
i run air shocks however I did make extenders for the top of the shocks out of threaded rod and threaded rod links add a little jb weld and walla! also used a set of aftermarket shackles the off the shelf kind from any parts store. I had to grind them a bit so the would not rub the trunk floor but they worked out fine for me and gave the the rake I was looking for and it cost less than 100 beans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts