Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 55 Chevy's radiator took a dump. It is the original. I am looking for an upgrade to an aluminum. Any recommendations on a brand or model number.

Your input will be deeply appreciated.

THANKS!!
Sam

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,898 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
You can consider having yours re-cored by a local shop as well. I went with a heavy duty copper/brass core on my stock tanks instead of chancing offshore aluminum ones.

·
Administrator
66,902 Posts
Not many manufactures making them to look like the originals or fit using original hardware. If you want to go new aluminum Cold Case have had good feedback, you could try locally see what`s available.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
The Auto City Classic also has original shaped tanks & are sold on ebay for $199 I've had one in my 56 for five years bought when I was running a SBC has been cooling my 408 LS stroker for the last 4 years just fine.Having said that I've installed a cold case in another car it appears to be very high quality both have 2 row 11/8"cores which are advertised to out perform 3 & 4 row aluminum radiators.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sam,
Is the rest of your engine area stock looking? When you say you want to go with an aluminum radiator, does that mean a modern looking cross flow unit or aluminum old school (stock), looking? I've used a Griffith cross flow unit in the past and had good luck with it.

This link will take you to their page for units that will fit a 55 Chevy.

From there you can choose your options as far as exact fit, performance fit, or combo unit. There's numerous places to buy radiators and you should not have a problem finding the right unit for your car.

Very sharp 55 btw!
Brad

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had mine recored back in the 80’s, but radiator shops are hard to find now. He reused the upper and lower tanks, it still looks original.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It was over $600 to re-core my '57 radiator (before the pandemic).
The upper tank had the Harrison name and part number, and had a matching date code, so I wanted to keep it numbers matching.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think I paid close to the cost of the be-cool for my recoring. I was in Canada and in a time crunch so didn't have the option at the time, but if it's got a good reputation, I'd probably lean that way if originality is not a concern. Even my recore doesn't look original, the old cores had a really different look.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My recore was $180 in the 80’s. I have the numbers matching brass upper and lower tanks, but the numbers are for the previous stock 6 cylinder. Had the brackets unsoldered and flipped around for mounting in the 8 cylinder position for the 283.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
When I first got the car I took the radiator to a shop to have the brackets switched from v8 to 6 cylinder position & ask about recore he even advised a new aluminum radiator versus recore or even switching the brackets.

·
Registered
68,429 Posts
The Auto City Classic also has original shaped tanks & are sold on ebay for $199 I've had one in my 56 for five years bought when I was running a SBC has been cooling my 408 LS stroker for the last 4 years just fine.Having said that I've installed a cold case in another car it appears to be very high quality both have 2 row 11/8"cores which are advertised to out perform 3 & 4 row aluminum radiators.
good to know if i ever need one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I first got the car I took the radiator to a shop to have the brackets switched from v8 to 6 cylinder position & ask about recore he even advised a new aluminum radiator versus recore or even switching the brackets.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts