Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to DVR the various auto auctions and then just run them in the background as I'm doing stuff around my place, When a particular car catches my fancy I might stop what I'm doing and pay actual attention.

Today I had on the Barrett Jackson Palm Beach auction from 4/7/22 "Day 1" when I heard Steve Magnante say something that caught my ear and made me do a double take. Then I had to rewind and listen again...and again because I thought what he was saying wasn't right. In a nutshell, Steve was explaining that the 1955 Chevy 150 Sedan back window and B-pillar are longer than the 1955 chevy Bel Air Sedan back window and B-pillar.

Now I love Steve, I think he's super knowledgeable and I watch his Junkyard Gold show because I love all kinds of care...but I was pretty sure he was wrong, or maybe just thinking about the Sedan vs Hardtop (although that's clearly not what he said).

So I did a little research and put some images together. I also took video of the moment but wasn't able to link it on this page, so here's a link to it for anyone who wants to watch. I think he was mixing up the Sedan and Hardtop rear windows and B-pillars. Curious to what others think?

FYI, the thermometer reading 100 degrees is the outside temp, not inside my house...which probably explains wasting my time with this...

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Motor vehicle

White Mode of transport Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Glasses Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,235 Posts
Another one of those statements that is pure 100% wrong......and will some how be brought up and presented as gospel hence forth. ALL sedan roofs
wither 2 or 4 dr had the same part # for the skin. Sub structures under it only differentiate in the model used for 2 or 4 dr. All of them are the same length and are longer in the cabin area by apx 5 inches then the 2 dr hardtops.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,521 Posts
Is it true that the 2-door hardtop's roof height is shorter than post cars?
Yes, but all hardtops/Nomads/convertibles have the same windshield, all sedans and post wagons have the same windshield.

Reactions: Elijah

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
549 Posts
I believe the majority would choose a post over a hardtop but it’s that lower roofline and the absence of a post that I really like in a hardtop. If I go for a post it will be Nomad. With that being said, I still love a tri five post car.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Who is this Steve Magnante and who made him an expert?
He's a fixture on the Velocity channel or Motor Trend or whatever they call it now. He's an author and maybe editor for motor Trend Magazine, and had/has a show called Junkyard Gold in addition to his appearances on the Barret Jackson auctions.

He's definitely a knowledgeable guy in the car world, my original point in starting this post was that even Steve can make a mistake...he casually threw down a "fact" in the video I shared of the auction that's clearly incorrect. In the grand scheme, not a big deal it just surprised me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts