Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old cable controlled VA A/C system that had never been installed. I'm not proud of the plastic bulkhead cover. My thought is to make a polished aluminum plate and installed the necessary bulkhead fittings. Have any of you done something similar or does someone make a bulkhead plate with fittings that is for 1955 Chevy's. As slow as I am, I would be ahead to buy something already made.

Regards,

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
I welded the old blower motor hole up - that's where the VA plastic piece goes. Then I used a 4 port billet aftermarket bulkhead plate positioned as far to the passenger side as the cowl plenum wall allowed without cutting into it.

The diamond pattern bulkhead plates are easier to position the hoses on than the square ones. VA sells welded up aluminum fittings to connect the heater hoses to the bulkhead fittings.

I can post a photo later of how everything was done on the passsenger side of the firewall.

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
Here's a photo of the plumbing inside the passenger compartment.

You can see how close it is to the cowl plenum wall. The bottom two hoses are the heater, the top two are the liquid and suction line for the evaporator. They are standard automotive a/c hose. I went to the hose place and got the fittings and bulk hose, cut them to length and marked the fittings and hose for indexing. Then carried them back to have them crimped. As you can see the hoses are very short and must be custom made.

If you wanted to place the bulkhead where VA has it, the hoses would be almost impossible to build, you'd have to use tubing, and even then it might be difficult to do.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response. I have just had the car painted and don't want to do any welding. Your comment about moving as far toward the passenger side as possible is invaluable. I never thought about the short hose length.Maybe I can make the bulkhead plate larger than planned and drill the firewall to allow the bulkhead fittings to go thru the plate & firewall near the interior as you did. I've removed the battery tray to clean up that area. I would have spent time building the plate and centered the fittings over the existing heater hole and then not had room to fit the short hoses. Thanks again.

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
Given that you don't want to weld, maybe the best compromise would be to build a sheet metal version of the VA plastic piece. In my opinion that would look far better, but it would still be some hours or $$ to do. Still requires welding, but not on the car itself. Then you could use the same plumbing as VA supplies for their scheme. There may be some other improvements you could do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts