Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow who would have thought it would have been so hard to find sheet metal to repair the rear dog leg of my 4 door 55! Well I didn’t find any new sheet metal but I found a guy on eBay of all places who had 55 4 rear dog leg repair patches.

I guess they are from an old company who use to make them but has since closed. I bought both left and right so I can make the necessary repairs.

I must admit I was starting to get worried! I found a lot of the inner door jam part of the dog let on several web sites but no outer repair panels! You would think someone would make them since they seem to be a pretty common area for rust damage!

I was thinking of buying the one they make for a 56-57 4 door which is all one piece and seeing how I can modify it to work. It looks pretty similar in style the biggest difference I can see is the rocker area is flat and not rounded like the 55's.

I ran into this same issue with the rocker panels. No one makes 4 door factory rocker panel repair ones only the replacement ones which don't fit all that well. I am thinking of just getting rockers for a 2 door and welding them together to make one.

Does anyone know why they wouldn't make these pieces for the 1955? Just seems odd they make them for the other cars but the 55.

I am gathering up all the parts and will soon be welding my old gal back together. Woohoo can't wait!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Mike, you are correct about the rockers for a 55 4 door - you can't get them. I got the ones for a 55-56, which are convex instead of concave, but are otherwise the same. They were like $140 per as compared to buying 2 pieces of 2 door at $105 each. It was a difference of $280 vs $420 and a lot of work. I originally bought the 56-57 dog legs as well, they are different at the wheel opening also. I got a set of the 'discontinued' 55 dog legs also from ebay. They seem to be thinner than the 56-7 version. I think I'm going to use the 55 ones (to match the wheel opening) and make the front/rocker portion match. I know the fenders won't match, but I do plan on finishing the car and driving it in my lifetime! One could probably get the hockey sticks for a 56 and cover it all up anyway.
I'm beginning on year 4 of my 55 project, I think I have almost everything I need to finish it except time and talent. Hopefully by the end of next year we're in business! You can see pics of the rockers on my 55 if you go to the link in my sig. Good Luck!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts