Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, checking to see if anybody has a recommendation for a company/supplier for a basic replacement single exhaust system for a '55 210. Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
66,978 Posts
maybe look into a local shop Larry, have had good luck going that way.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Shafer's Classic Reproductions is the best! It will look and fit like OEM and is even available in stainless.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I bought a stock style complete dual exhaust from Eckler's a while back.
They had plain steel, aluminized steel and stainless steel options. I chose aluminized steel.
They have many other configurations: single exhaust, wagons, 6 cyl., etc.
I expected the crossover pipe between the two sides to allow balancing the exhaust pressure.
But there is no opening where the crossover pipes connect to the main exhaust pipes.
I'll probably wind up drilling out the two blocked crossovers.

1617832467558.png

·
Premium Member
11,240 Posts
If you are doing this yourself in your garage or driveway, getting the long pipe over the rear is a big hassle as you have to get the back of the car way up in the air, and hope its high enough to get the pipe in position.

There is an alternative. Call ol 55 East Coast Chevy in Doylestown PA. They have an online catalog but no online ordering. They have everything you will need todo the install, pipes, muffler, and the correct clamps and hangers. Best of all, they sell a two piece rear tail pipe that installs without the issues of a one piece, with the benefit of being able to adjust the two pieces so the pipe fits just the way you want it to fit.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,977 Posts
When I think of stock exhaust pipe recommendations, a company called SRC comes to mind....However, I'm unable to find a link for you at this time.

No matter anyway....When it comes time to do any of mine, I just do a temporary with el cheapo flex pipe, then run it down to the nearest muffler and tailpipe fabrication shop.

·
50,977 Posts
There is an alternative. Call ol 55 East Coast Chevy in Doylestown PA. They have an online catalog but no online ordering.
Mike...i went looking for East Coast Chevy's online catalog the other day and could not find it....Would you be so kind as to provide a link?

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
If you are doing this yourself in your garage or driveway, getting the long pipe over the rear is a big hassle as you have to get the back of the car way up in the air, and hope its high enough to get the pipe in position.

There is an alternative. Call ol 55 East Coast Chevy in Doylestown PA. They have an online catalog but no online ordering. They have everything you will need todo the install, pipes, muffler, and the correct clamps and hangers. Best of all, they sell a two piece rear tail pipe that installs without the issues of a one piece, with the benefit of being able to adjust the two pieces so the pipe fits just the way you want it to fit.
I put dual exhaust on my '55 with a complete aluminized kit from Ole 55 East Coast Chevy. The two piece tail pipe made it so much easier. I'm very happy with it.
David, someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have an on line catalog for ordering. At least I couldn't find it either. They do have a nice catalog and actually today, I called and ordered some parts. I think that's the only way you can do it, Carmine.

·
50,977 Posts
David, someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have an on line catalog for ordering. At least I couldn't find it either. They do have a nice catalog and actually today, I called and ordered some parts. I think that's the only way you can do it, Carmine.
They used to have an online catalog for viewing their products and getting your part numbers together....However, you had to call to order.

·
Premium Member
11,240 Posts
Dave, most if not all of their tail pipes are 2 piece, cheaper to ship and way way easier to install. If you want a one piece tail pipe you have to specify when you order.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,081 Posts
Summit has some good prices. I don't recall having a problem getting them over the rear, but if I did I probably put a little jack between the axle and the frame to push the axle down a bit. I'm always on a tight budget so an exhaust from a shop is something I avoid. In fact I don't ever remember taking a car I owned to a muffler shop since the 80's. I know when I was 12 or so my Mom used to take the cars to Midas, and one time for a temporary pipe fix I cut both ends out of a larger tin can, cut it down one side, rolled it around the pipe and added clamps. The guy at Midas told her that she could have driven it for years that way if we (PA) didn't have a safety inspection every 6 months.

·
50,977 Posts

·
50,977 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
The exhaust system I ordered from Eckler's came in boxes marked Shafer's Classic Reproductions.
At least the mufflers did (model 61000).
And it came with one piece tail pipes, so I may have a bit of fun threading them in when I install them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts