Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I am trying to refit the gas flap back to my '55. It is the same one that was always on the car and it has the stainless trim guard fitted as well. When the car was on the road I don't remember the flap being badly aligned, but now everything is all going back together after painting I seem to be having trouble, getting it to fit right. I think I will have to open up the hinge adjustment slots a little and bend the hinge slightly. Just hope I don't damage the paint where it can be seen.
A couple of things I need answers to.
The 2 rubbers on the right hand side which attach with the screws that hold the stainless guard. Does the raised part of the rubber sit to the left so that it will sit just under the flap, or to the right, so that it will sit on the very edge of the flap, but may push the flap edge out a little?
The spring clip, I have taken off whilst I am trying to get the flap to fit. Is it possible to refit it with the flap in position, or will I have to remove the flap again to fit the clip while it is off the car?
Any advice from those who have been there before would be much appreciated.:confused0024:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK. After much trial and error and fitting and re-fitting, I have managed to get it fitting right. I had to cover the hinge part with a thick cloth to protect the paint, and then using grips, slightly bend the hinge where the attaching studs fit. This had the effect of moving the flap slightly to the left when in position, which meant it did not hit on the right hand side as it was closed. I then marked around the hinge positions with a pencil before removing the assembly again to fit the spring. When I put it all back in using the pencil lines as a guide it all fitted up fine.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts