Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, I stumbled across this little gem in the local classified ads and was wondering as to its rarity?

I know I have never seen another one in Canada in my neck of the woods, nor have I seen one at the Back to the Fifties Show in Minneapolis which seems to have one of everything !

The poster did identify it as an American model and it did have and still does have a Pontiac engine. Tail lights are unique ; looks like 55 Chev units could be substituted though.

How rare is it and does it have any value beyond the obvious? I'd appreciate any insight...... Hey Handyman Bruce, have you got one?

Thanks,

John

Attachments

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Not sure of the rarity, but other then the emblems and can't tell about the handle, the lift gate and tail gate, look real similar to those on my '56 wagon. Wonder if they would interchange? The two doors also look very similar. I really haven't seen many Pontiac wagons around.

·
Premium Member
15,902 Posts
Hello folks, I stumbled across this little gem in the local classified ads and was wondering as to its rarity?

I know I have never seen another one in Canada in my neck of the woods, nor have I seen one at the Back to the Fifties Show in Minneapolis which seems to have one of everything !

The poster did identify it as an American model and it did have and still does have a Pontiac engine. Tail lights are unique ; looks like 55 Chev units could be substituted though.

How rare is it and does it have any value beyond the obvious? I'd appreciate any insight...... Hey Handyman Bruce, have you got one?

Thanks,

John
John, These US built Pontiacs are basically the same exterior sheet metal of a 55 Chevy 2dr wagon from the firewall back. That is pretty much where it stops. The entire floor, firewall, dash, frame and nose along with the mechanics are all Pontiac. The Canadian built Pontiacs are much closer to a Chevy in that the chassis is the same as a Chevy except the front horns. The Canadian ones also have a Chevy floor pan front to rear as well as a Chevy firewall and a Chevy drivetrain. The Canadian nose is also shorter to go along with the shorter Chevy wheelbase. That being said there are not a lot of the 2dr wagons around US built or otherwise.
Yes I currently have 2 Canadian 56 Pontiac sedan deliveries that used a 55 Chevy sedan delivery body here in my shop. They were only available in Canada and sold through GMC dealers. They were a very low production vehicle with around 1100 built for the 56 model year.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pontiac

Thank you Bruce, I knew I could count on you for an informed ! reply.
I'm not quite sure what to do here!
The rarity of it makes it interesting but the availability of parts up North here makes it a bit of a challenge.
I will investigate a little further and post it up when I have made a decision..

Thanks again....John

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
When I first saw the tail lights I thought it was '56?

Years ago I had a '56 Pontiac Sedan Delivery and it
had the same tail lights as the ones in your photo.

·
Registered
67,745 Posts
very cool, have always liked Pontiacs from the 50's. :tu

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
wagon

John, These US built Pontiacs are basically the same exterior sheet metal of a 55 Chevy 2dr wagon from the firewall back. That is pretty much where it stops. The entire floor, firewall, dash, frame and nose along with the mechanics are all Pontiac. The Canadian built Pontiacs are much closer to a Chevy in that the chassis is the same as a Chevy except the front horns. The Canadian ones also have a Chevy floor pan front to rear as well as a Chevy firewall and a Chevy drivetrain. The Canadian nose is also shorter to go along with the shorter Chevy wheelbase. That being said there are not a lot of the 2dr wagons around US built or otherwise.
Yes I currently have 2 Canadian 56 Pontiac sedan deliveries that used a 55 Chevy sedan delivery body here in my shop. They were only available in Canada and sold through GMC dealers. They were a very low production vehicle with around 1100 built for the 56 model year.

I had a 55 two door wagon that had been already subframed. It sold before I did anything to it. There is also another around this area, bb powered, tubbed, caged and running mid 11s. I also had my 55 SDL which now resides in New Jersey. Except for the obvious repop parts, nothing else fits. EG, the starting motor harness which is for the RH mounted Chevy starter but needs the plug for the Pontiac ignition switch. Jay

Attachments

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
Go right over the car, rust will be your biggest concern, parts should still be available although it may cost you more compared to a Trifive.

If the price is right and you have the spare $$$ you may end up having a new toy to tinker with :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
15,902 Posts
Thank you Bruce, I knew I could count on you for an informed ! reply.
I'm not quite sure what to do here!
The rarity of it makes it interesting but the availability of parts up North here makes it a bit of a challenge.
I will investigate a little further and post it up when I have made a decision..

Thanks again....John
As mentioned, RUST will be your biggest issue if it needs any panels underneath. There are a few available but they are not real good quality and NONE of the Chevy floor panels or braces are the same other than those right at the tailpan "may" be the same. Glass and any exterior panels except the nose are 55 Chevy 2dr wagon parts.

·
Premium Member
15,902 Posts
I had a 55 two door wagon that had been already subframed. It sold before I did anything to it. There is also another around this area, bb powered, tubbed, caged and running mid 11s. I also had my 55 SDL which now resides in New Jersey. Except for the obvious repop parts, nothing else fits. EG, the starting motor harness which is for the RH mounted Chevy starter but needs the plug for the Pontiac ignition switch. Jay
Yep, They are very unique for sure. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts