Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did GM make a rear mounted antenna as an option? I'm flying to Salt Lake tomorrow morning to look at a '55 Bel Air 2Dr HT and just noticed the antenna in the picture is mounted in the rear drivers side. I was once told that all '55's were built with antenna's on the right front fender only. Can any one confirm? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
As far as i know the 55 did not have a rear antenna ,only one on the front passenger side ,,,,:)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Did GM make a rear mounted antenna as an option? I'm flying to Salt Lake tomorrow morning to look at a '55 Bel Air 2Dr HT and just noticed the antenna in the picture is mounted in the rear drivers side. I was once told that all '55's were built with antenna's on the right front fender only. Can any one confirm? Thanks in advance!
Only in 56

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys. The guys is selling it as a GM option and I was doubting him. It's otherwise a nice car. Why they mounted it in the spot they did is anyones guess. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, guys. The guys is selling it as a GM option and I was doubting him. It's otherwise a nice car. Why they mounted it in the spot they did is anyones guess. Thanks again.
Dont let the rear antennae put you off :anim_25:

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
when they showed up on 57's they were real popular and therefore people wanted them on their 55 too. A dealer would put a 57 antenna on your 55 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the antenna was the least of the cars problems. The doors were re-skinned, but had rust through on the inner shell - both right and left doors. Then painted. Paint was horrible and his bottom dollar was $34K. After pointing the issues out he held firm on his price. I think he paid around that for it and he was just trying to get his money back. Turns out he's only had it for a couple of months and dumping it because it needs a lot of work. He's got it listed on Cars On Line now. Feel bad for the future owner.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My 55 convertible has 2 antenna cables running to the top of both rear fenders. It appears to be factory. When I bought the car the antennas had been removed and one was relocated to the right front fender.

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,455 Posts
I have a power rear antena, right rear works just fine and looks cool

·
Registered
813 Posts
Back in the day, as pistoncan noted, eventually dual rear mounted antennas became The Look. Following this, about '58 or so, a single rear mounted antenna extended about 6-10 inches became the id of the really hot sleeper, to be chosen-off at the midnite drags only at your peril.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts