Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the factory original 12 volt starter motor and solenoid on the 235 6-cylinder in my 55 Chevy sedan has a nose cone that differs from nose cones on starter motors in later year models, but does anyone know definitively if a factory original starter and solenoid from a 1958 Chevy 235 inline 6 cylinder will bolt right up to the 235 inline 6 cylinder in the 55 Chevy (and work)? Knowing this will greatly simplify my life. 20 years ago I would have just removed the original 1955 starter and gotten my answer by bolting in the 1958 replacement starter. Jump forward 20 years and I'm lucky if I can lift a starter, let alone crawl under the car and replace one. Help :(

·
Registered
57 Bel Air 2 door hardtop
107 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 235, but I did run into an issue with the starter and bellhousing in my 57. Based on the date code cast into the bell, it was originally in a 55. The upper bolt hole in the bell was threaded for a bolt to come in through the starter. The 57 starter upper bolt is threaded for a bolt to come in through the bell. Both being threaded was a problem. When dad originally built the car, he used a smaller through-bolt to hold it together. It worked for over 20 years, but was a royal pain to get it out. When I finally got it apart and figured out what was going on, I modified the bell to accept a through-bolt. I posted a few pics in my T-5 conversion thread. With that said, I doubt that the 58 starter will be a direct bolt in. When I get back to my computer I'll add a link to the thread.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Bel Air 2 door hardtop
107 Posts
Found it. There is an explanation and a couple of pics of my bellhousing mod in this thread.

·
Premium Member
12,074 Posts
So the 55 and 56 235 uses a different starter and solenoid then the 57 and up 235. The 55-56 have a solenoid that is actually attached to the body of the starter and the 57 and up use the later detachable 2 screw solenoid that was used on both the v8 and 6 motors.

I am fairly sure, though not 100 percent sure, the later starter will physically bolt up. I generally shy away from the 55 motors only because they still used rope rear main seals and main bearing shims, so I have not had a lot of 55 bell housings, which is why I am not 100 percent sure. The wiring is also slightly different from 55-56 to 57 and up. Any reason you are not just getting a replacement 55 starter/solenoid?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts