Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper set up for the tailight bulbs?

Top bulb is Brake and Park light?
Middle bulb is Directional ?
Bottom bulb is Back up (this much I know as it is the clear lense)

or is it:

Top bulb is Brake and Directional?
Middle bulb is Park light?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Rick

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
Top bulb is parking,,,,braking,,,,and directional --- bottom bulb is back-up my 55 only has 2 bulbs -------:cool:

·
Registered
66,301 Posts
Top bulb is parking,,,,braking,,,,and directional --- bottom bulb is back-up my 55 only has 2 bulbs -------:cool:
only two bulbs in my 55 too. 3rd bulb? :stupido2:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
To farther explain, the top bulb is a double contact, double filement (1157 or equivelent) bulb. One filement is the parking light and the other filement is the brake AND turn signal. The brake light filement lights up when the brake is depressed and the turn signal switch turns that brake light filement off and blinks the same filement.
Note: Turn signals were an option in 1955, so it may not have factor or dealer installed turn signals. If turn signals were later added, it's anybodys guess how they could be wired.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,369 Posts
Rick....Learn something new here everyday myself.....Great lookin' '55 from what I can tell.....Would like to see more Wheres the pics

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi POPS,

Will be taking more pics..just picked it up Satuarday on Long Island and hauled it home to New hampshire.

It looks like a piece of jewlery and far exceeded my expectations when I got there.

The only issue is the tail lights now...stinks but I get it fixed somehow...!!

Have fun

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow.. mine definately has 3 holes... The wiring may be an issue otherwise the car is near perfect. I looked for 3 months part time (as soon as I would get home from work would call, email, internet search, papers, whatever to find the right one. Looked at 8-10and was dissapointed every time.

This one was better that it loooked in the pics....we all know how pictures usually go. Brought it home Satuarday.

Anyone know a good 55 wiring guy in the Southern New Hampshire or Northern Mass area?

Thanks for the insight...

·
50,369 Posts
Anyone know a good 55 wiring guy in the Southern New Hampshire or Northern Mass area?Thanks for the insight...
Rick....I know of a guy in northern MA.....Sent you a PM

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1955 Tail Light

My tail light assembly has the third hole as added in the attached pic. Any idea what year it is from?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry still trying to figure out how to attach a pic in the string. Went to advanced and attached but it did not show.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
My tail light assembly has the third hole as added in the attached pic. Any idea what year it is from?
There's a link above "Help with Photos".
The tail lights look to be stock. Since turn signals were an option in 1955, I suspect that someone drilled another hole for the turn signal bulb socket when they added turn signals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great news!! Found bad ground and weak connection in the trunk..

Bright brake and back uo lights now!! At least i can drive it.

Just need to figure out the park lights???

·
50,369 Posts
Rick....Do you have turn signals front and rear? Also, do you have parking lamps in front?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts