Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my VIN number for my 1955 but when I read the spec information it tells me that the first production numbers started with a "1" so why does this one have a "0" as I cannot find anything that is related to a NO.
VC55N088375
Any pros out the able to educate me?
VC = 2400 8 cylinder
55 = Year
N= Norwood, OH
088375 =

Thanks
DANgerous

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,812 Posts
Dan....Mine also has a zero as the first digit and was built in Atlanta, GA...I can't figure out why mine done not appear on the chart either.....See link to chart:http://www.xs4all.nl/~evilnick/Bel_Air/production numbers/Prod.html Also. it has a '56 engine....Which makes me think it had to have been built later in the production year.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, hopefully some one can explain that "0"
Unless it is just a filler number? :confused0006:
DANgerous

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ALL :shakehands:
How about my engine number:
0i5465t55g
DANgerous

·
52,812 Posts
Thanks, hopefully some one can explain that "0"
Unless it is just a filler number?

Dan....It looks like it is a filler digit....I have five more digits, after the zero....Those digits appear on the chart.

·
52,812 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Dan, I think you had it right the first time, it ends with 'T55G' 55 & 56 engines started with a 'sequential number' then a letter code (T for Tonawanda) the year, and a letter code - G was for a manual trans.

David, that is the proof, 57 is when they started with 100,001. BTW, my 55 also has a 56 engine, but I'm sure it's not original. :happy0030:

·
52,812 Posts
David, that is the proof, 57 is when they started with 100,001. BTW, my 55 also has a 56 engine, but I'm sure it's not original. :happy0030:
Your right on both counts Craig....My engine can't be original then either.

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
#

dan the book said code g for 1955 is a 162 hp manual trans the 180 hp is
fb dual ex 4 bbl

fd power glide 4bbl a/c
gd 3 speed dual 4bbl
ge over drive dual ex 4bbl
gg 3 speed 4 bbl a/c
gl 3 speed 4bbl dual ex hd clutch
gm ........................................a/c
gn over drive ......................

are all 180 hp

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine has a 4 barrel dual exaust and a power glide BUT the wrong engine number, this must be a common issue:confused0006:
DANgerous

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Well, in the 55 years since day one, making it faster with a 4 bbl and dual exhaust was indeed a common issue. Not to mention the 3 speed manual in 55 was a crashbox (non sync 1st gear) so a Powerglide could also be considered an upgrade.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I am thinking that the original 265 block was changed out sometime back ( Maybe when it was restored), and I do not think that they gave a dang back than as to wich one they put back in, it is at least a 1955-265 so I can drive it while I look for a correct numbered block.
My numbers should read T55FB
"Hey if anyone has a good rebulidable one for sale PLEASE contact me"
DANgerous

1 - 20 of 49 Posts