·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
108 Posts
No, sounds a bit odd to me.

My guess is either the clerk at the dmv screwed up on the model, someone converted a 150 to a bel air, or someone had a bel air with no title so they used a 56 150 title to get it licensed.

I would stay away from this just for the simple fact that I have never seen or heard of a 150 2 door hardtop. :anim_25:

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
So I have come across a car with a VIN belonging to a 1956 150 that has apparently been made to emulate a 2 door hardtop. Ever heard of anyone doing that?

The car looks amazing in the pics; is this something that I should run from?
It is priced more like a 2 door 210?
Got any pictures to share with us? Later, Dave

·
Administrator
70,785 Posts
No, sounds a bit odd to me.

My guess is either the clerk at the dmv screwed up on the model, someone converted a 150 to a bel air, or someone had a bel air with no title so they used a 56 150 title to get it licensed.

I would stay away from this just for the simple fact that I have never seen or heard of a 150 2 door hardtop. :anim_25:
Thats a possibility :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Or...someone had a 150 and wanted a 2D HT, and changed the top...maybe the original top got damaged by a falling tree, and the only top he could find was at HT...

A lot of things could have happened. Did you ask the seller what the deal was? What is the vin on the frame? What do you want to do with this car?

Not telling you what to do, but if the frame matched all the 150 vin #s, and the guy has a reasonable explanation, I would be more relaxed into getting this car knowing in advanced that I wouldn't be looking to sell it again, but you have to do what makes you happy :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Where is the VIN on the body located? All 150's would have the VIN on the upper A pillar area, while all hardtops have a VIN on the lower door jam. You say it has a 150 VIN, but didn't mention the cowl tag. That would also tell you a lot.

I have personally seen a 67 Chevelle 6 cyl car that was 100% original, but had a V8 cowl tag with a 6 cylinder VIN on the VIN plate. It was no doubt due to a mistake at the Fisher Body plant. Human beings were involved. Therefore, mistakes did happen. Maybe the case here, or, otherwise, I would expect someone changed the VIN on this 56. It is very difficult to make a hardtop out of a sedan, and not likely that it would have turned out really well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would be suspect that the VIN was swapped.. I cant imagine someone doing a complete Sedan to Hardtop conversion
BTW; the vin on a Hardtop is located on the lower half of the A pillar vs Sedan which is on the upper post of the A pillar

Pictures please
BobH

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I would be suspect that the VIN was swapped.. I cant imagine someone doing a complete Sedan to Hardtop conversion
BTW; the vin on a Hardtop is located on the lower half of the A pillar vs Sedan which is on the upper post of the A pillar

Pictures please
BobH
It wouldn't be worse than the great 4 door to 2 door conversions we've seen done here on Trifive.com, so all is possible :)

The only way to know for sure, is to check all the serial numbers on this 150, to see if they all match each other...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
'll know more on Monday

I found this car online last night. It is at a dealership that is closed until Monday. After I find out if the car is still for sale, I'll post pics. If it is still for sale I'm goning to take a little road trip and see what is what. I'm looking for a car to keep and drive so if they just switched the Vin numbers, I really don't mind. Looks like the vin is in the hardtop position. Can't tell about the cowl from the pics.

I would post pics, but honestly, I don't want advertise the car. Sorry, maybe it is against the code on her to buy a car out from under another member, but in real life my friends and family would. Sad, but true.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You could make a quick under body check to see how many body supports are in place.

Best I recall, hdtp/conv had 5 each side while others (not sure about wagons) had 4 each side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are the pictures

So this car is at a new car dealership. I was talking to the salesman and pointed out that the VIN didn't match the car. He seemed surprised. I planned on making the five hour drive to see this car tomorrow, but now the salesman won't answer or return my phone calls. I asked for addition pictures and a video of the car running. Never got them. The asking price is 23,900.At this point I think this is a Belair HT that has been given the VIN from a 150.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
The salesman is out to sell cars period. What he deciphered from you is that this car is stolen, send more pictures. The salesman probably went to his boss and told him that this unit is suspect, get it out of here ASAP. The boss is looking all over for Joe Schmoe, who traded it in for his new Shelby Corvette SRT.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So this car is at a new car dealership. I was talking to the salesman and pointed out that the VIN didn't match the car. He seemed surprised. I planned on making the five hour drive to see this car tomorrow, but now the salesman won't answer or return my phone calls. I asked for addition pictures and a video of the car running. Never got them. The asking price is 23,900.At this point I think this is a Belair HT that has been given the VIN from a 150.
Anyone else notice that the back window looks like it cannot roll down? I could be wrong but its just what my eyes are seeing :sign0020:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.