Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
13,842 Posts
You have not worked on enough 235s then, lol. All kidding aside, you don’t find them on all motors, and especially if they have been previously apart. Most scratch their head after the motor has been apart a while wondering if it’s for a 235.

· Premium Member
13,842 Posts
Yes. The snout of the balancer sits in the recess and holds it in place. Also, let me highly recommend that you drill and tap the crank snout for a balancer bolt.
With the crank snout threaded for a bolt, you can use a standard balancer install tool instead of pounding the balancer on with a block of wood and a hammer. Which by the way, is a two man job because you have to have someone with a big long pinch bar wedge the crank forward so you dont damage the thrust main bearing while you are hammering away.

This is the tool you can use to do the drilling.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. The snout of the balancer sits in the recess and holds it in place. Also, let me highly recommend that you drill and tap the crank snout for a balancer bolt.
With the crank snout threaded for a bolt, you can use a standard balancer install tool instead of pounding the balancer on with a block of wood and a hammer. Which by the way, is a two man job because you have to have someone with a big long pinch bar wedge the crank forward so you dont damage the thrust main bearing while you are hammering away.

This is the tool you can use to do the drilling.

Ordered!

· Registered
1955 210 two door post, six cylinder, three on a tree, Navajo Tan and India Ivory
2,090 Posts
This is the crankshaft drilling guide that I made. It also doubles as a crankshaft turning socket and also as an alignment tool for centering up the timing cover to the shaft before you
Road surface Tree Gas Tints and shades Plant

bolt the cover down. It is long enough to keep the drill bit on center and straight (I did use a 25/64 bit). I wrapped the tap shank in cardboard and let that center the tap in the hole so it doubled as a tap guide as well as a drill bit guide. I also ordered a tapered tap to make the tapping easier to do. A long taper on the tap makes it easier to keep the tap straight in the hole. My memory is failing me right now but I think it was a #3 taper. Be sure to use a cutting oil like Tap Magic or something similar. The photo shows using it as a tap guide to keep it straight. Once the tap handle bottomed out I removed the guide. By that time the starting threads were established and I continued tapping without the guide.

Attachments

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the crankshaft drilling guide that I made. It also doubles as a crankshaft turning socket and also as an alignment tool for centering up the timing cover to the shaft before you View attachment 386325
bolt the cover down. It is long enough to keep the drill bit on center and straight (I did use a 25/64 bit). I wrapped the tap shank in cardboard and let that center the tap in the hole so it doubled as a tap guide as well as a drill bit guide. I also ordered a tapered tap to make the tapping easier to do. A long taper on the tap makes it easier to keep the tap straight in the hole. My memory is failing me right now but I think it was a #3 taper. Be sure to use a cutting oil like Tap Magic or something similar. The photo shows using it as a tap guide to keep it straight. Once the tap handle bottomed out I removed the guide. By that time the starting threads were established and I continued tapping without the guide.
Thank you - awesome resource

1 - 11 of 11 Posts