Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have to shorten the driveshaft to change rear end to a 8.5 10 bolt?
original 235, 3 speed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I compared the 10 bolt to the original and the 10 bolt is roughly 1.5-2" longer from center axle tube to u joint cup center.
By the trans yoke pattern there was only 1" inward slide on the trans output shaft.
I tried to move the rear back 3/4 but the tank interfered.
Wondering if I've missed anything..

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I didn't make that measurement... you might be right, but my driveshaft installed with some 'movement'... Now I'm wondering if I have 'enough' movement...?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
48,703 Posts
Neither one of the tech articles I have say anything about shortening (or lengthening) the driveshaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I haven't seen anything either, that's why I'm asking. I just tried the install Sunday and this is what I found.
I expected there would be a lot of comments, and since there aren't I'm back under making sure I'm correct.
CNCDELAG did say he had to shorten his by an inch..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted to move the rear back 3/4 of an inch but couldn't because of the gas tank..

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
And I haven't seen anything either, that's why I'm asking. I just tried the install Sunday and this is what I found.
I expected there would be a lot of comments, and since there aren't I'm back under making sure I'm correct.
CNCDELAG did say he had to shorten his by an inch..
I think the reason I had to shorten mine, is that whoever put in the side motor mounts put them to far back. I have very little clearance at the firewall even with a small cap distributor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts