Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Chevy 210 4 Door, LS swap in progress. 1957 Chevy 210 2 door post with Bel Air trim
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting around to posting a project thread. Bought it last summer as a roller. Body and engine bay had been painted. Supposedly everything else there to put it back together. You guy's know how that goes... Couldn't find anything decent for 350 and original 3 speed trans, did my research and decided to do an LS Swap with 4l60e trans. Plan to do disc brakes in the front for sure. The rear end is out of a new car, it will need gone through. Never done that before. Going to do the rear shock bar upgrade, 2in lowering springs in the front and picked up a fuel tank with efi pump and reverse eye leaf springs from one of the great members on here. I'm brand new to old car restoration (I did restore an old Massey Ferguson 1130 tractor) So I'm open to any tips and tricks and instructions from you experts. Send me a PM. Hopefully this thread will help keep me motivated and also a reference point for me for putting it back together! My 2 car garage is way to full..

Attachments

·
Registered
1956 Chevy 210 4 Door, LS swap in progress. 1957 Chevy 210 2 door post with Bel Air trim
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the ls adapter plates mounted and removed the rear end and wire wheeled it. Those u bolt nuts were some of the tightest nuts I've ever taken off. Should have used a cutoff wheel.

Sent from my SM-T387W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coming apart bit by bit. Removed the brake drums and axles and pulled the pumpkin tonight. Finished off my wire wheel cleaning up the Axle. Also used a flap disc wheel to smooth out some scars. I don't any anything about rear ends but it feels good to me. I will need to replace a seal at the yoke tho. The pumpkin is from a 64 chevy.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Word of caution. Replacing yoke seal may mess your pinion bearing preload since your pinion has crush sleeve. You have to mark very carefully pinion thread/nut that you install it exactly to same position it was originally.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Working on removing the front control arms. It was cooler after a rain a few days ago so I pulled the frame out and flipped it upside down so I could wire wheel the bottom of it. I do plan to get it sandblasted. Ordered some primer and ag111 paint from nomorerust.com.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
be careful removing the control arms since you don't have any weight on the springs they can hurt you when you go to remove the springs if you are replacing the springs which I think you told me you are then if you have a torch cut them if not you might borrow a spring compressor from one of the auto stores to take the tension off before taking things apart

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm making one of the spring compressors with all thread and an eye hook and the bottom part of the original shock mount. Haven't got a chance to try it yet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spring compressor worked great. Got the left side off this eve. The top ball joint took a good beating to get off. Need to work on the bottom one yet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right side is off! Time to clean up my mess. Transmission is rebuilt need to go pick it up and take frame and rear end off to get sandblasted

1 - 20 of 43 Posts