Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Chevy 210 4 Door, LS swap in progress. 1957 Chevy 210 2 door post with Bel Air trim
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Got the drum brakes tore apart. Discovered that the inner bearing must have spun on the spindle and a previous owner had attempted to solve it by doing hillbilly knurling aka use a chisel to scar up the shaft so the bearing would be a tight fit. Worked on the one side, the other side was still spinning. If I didn't already have 2in drop springs already I would go with stock size springs and 2in drop spindles.

Sent from my SM-T387W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1956 Chevy 210 4 Door, LS swap in progress. 1957 Chevy 210 2 door post with Bel Air trim
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Pulled out the heater core assembly and the blower fan. I noticed they was a gap between the two that was wrapped with duct tape. And the heater core was stuffed full with a mouse nest.

Sent from my SM-T387W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So this project has been on the back burner : ( Need to replace the firewall pad, did my research on here and found that using a sound deadening mat is the way to go. After researching a price shopping a ton, I ended up ordering from be-quiet The Perfect Gift Deadening Package Its not asphalt based and is made in usa and they had a sale going, got the 100 sq ft package for $144 shipped.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
10 months? seriously? It's high time I get to work. The weather has cooled off and my shop is slowly getting done. Spray foam started today, will be back tomorrow to finish up. Scraped off the insulation on the car ceiling and sprayed the residue with mineral spirits. Hopefully that softens it up enough to make it come off easily.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Saturday a week ago I finally got my 56 frame down into the new shop. Started wire wheeling it again, then used a flap disc and realized how much was still there to go to bare metal. I had borrowed a small sandblaster from a friend of a friend and bought 2 bags of black diamond blasting media. I tried it on the smaller panels, put them in a big plastic bin and held the lid over the top to keep most the media inside. That didn't work well, had to keep shaking the sandblaster tank to get it to flow. I'm going to hual it off to get it blasted. Quote for around 150 if I remember right. Happened to see a guy doing dust less blasting at another shop today and called him, he wanted $500!

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It's 96deg deg out today. Good I put ac in the shop, even tho it's not bug enough to cool it, it sure helps when I'm in front of it while working. Put the rear end back in temporarily to figure out where to weld in the brackets for the rear shock brace, then taking the frame to get sandblasted.

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Finally getting back to work on it. Had my brother get the rear shock brace mounts welded in place. Planning to get it sandblasted on Friday.

Sent from my SM-T227U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
Doug I would consider removing the pockets in the trunk floor where the shocks originally mount & weld in a plate to flatten the floor while the body is off the frame.My shock bar is welded in much as your is & the shock pockets are very close to that bar enough so that the top of the shock shaft would touch the pocket without cutting about 1/4" off the end or the shaft or making a additional hole in the shock pocket. I ended up moving & re welding the upper shock brackets once I installed the spring pocket kit & now isn't a issue on the shock but the pocket is still very close to the shock bar.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Got the frame and rear Axle housing blasted tonight. Only cost $210 which I thought was quite reasonable.

Sent from my SM-T227U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 43 Posts