Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1956 Chevy 3100 with a Camaro clip installed and a 350/350 engine/tranny. I spent $1800. The truck has not run since 1993, transmission was sitting on the floor and it looks like someone other than the guy I bought it off had done a lot of body work. The hood, front end and cab were all just sitting on the frame no bolts attached. The bed is bolted down good with rotting wood in the back. I've posted tons of pictures here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/elias0173/

The method they used for installing the clip differs from other methods I have seen online. How can I tell if this is a good clip install or if I need to make any changes before I begin my build?

Should I add more stability around the weld points?

Do I need to have the frame examined by a body shop to see if its straight?

Do I need to add anything onto the front end of the frame to mount the cab and bumper? It looks like they never finished it.

What year Camaro did they use so I know what parts to search for when rebuilding?

I removed everything I could this past weekend and I will finish the rest shortly. I plan to sandblast the frame and sheet metal. Then primer it all. Paint will be the last thing I do. I want to eventually powder coat the frame or finish it off nicely with something equivalent.

Any tips or suggestions with my 1st build will be very helpful. I am more of an IT person and computer nerd than an automotive technician.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
the method: not a BAD way to do it. There are some guys at the HAMB board that even advocate that way of doing it.
more stability: not a bad idea, 'cause the welder operator might not, um, have been experianced.
frame examined? I would. can't hurt. but take what the examiner says as information, NOT the Gospel.
year Camaro: Looks like a second Gen.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Knotheads will tell you Camaro subframe are the same from 70-81, they are not the same. For example 70-74 tie rods the same and 75-81, without looking I thinks that right. The later ones like 78-81 have a brace lower control are you dont have and the real early dont uve clam shell moter mounts. My guess is yours is mid 70s.

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
Knotheads will tell you Camaro subframe are the same from 70-81, they are not the same. For example 70-74 tie rods the same and 75-81, without looking I thinks that right. The later ones like 78-81 have a brace lower control are you dont have and the real early dont uve clam shell moter mounts. My guess is yours is mid 70s.
100% agree :tu

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
there's 3 things i like about doing a clip in this manner.
sets the truck 2 in lower , is super strong and safe , guarantees the geometry is correct . it can even be bolted to the truck frame much the way it is bolted to the unibody .
you wont be able to use the stock motor mounts as it will set too far forward.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
um, your not calling me a knothead, right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts