Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Well today just started on my 56 Gasser build. I purchased this car 3 years ago- tore it all apart and stuffed it away in the barn. (I didn't really have a good vision of what to do or what it should look like till I started researching on the net and then it came to me. Gloss Jet Black, Craiger ss rims white letter tires, Black tinted windows, and a little chrome, with a higher than stock stance but not to high and the rumble of a BBC with a solid lifter cam and the whine of a rock crusher four speed.) I just know I wanted to build a trifive just love the 55 in 2 lane black top. I watch that movie and least once a month. I Tried to sell it a couple times and just couldn't bring myself to part with it. The floor was completely rust out bad and the person I got it from had really done some half ass patch work on it and that is what detered me from getting a good start on it 900.00 dollar floor pan. It wasn't the cost just the idea of ordering that big of a chunk of sheet metal-Just a mental thing.

Well just by luck one day a buddy of mine called me from a farm sale he was attending and said they have a floor pan for a tri-five how much are you willing to pay for it. Needless to say I jumped in the truck and headed that way. Well under 200.00 and 3hours later I brought the floor home. That put the wind back in my sails to get this car done and on the road again.

Today I stripped down the pans Cut the old inner and outer rockers off and drilled out all the spot welds. I do have some patch work to do on the pans but nothing to hard. I order the inner and outer rocker panels tonight.

My plans with this car are to install the sheet metal (floor and rockers) this is all the sheet metal this car needs. After that I want to cut the fire wall and recess it 4 inches. Narrow a ford 9" with minitubes. Cut the front frame and install a straight axle. I have a big block 454 for it still rounding up a 4 speed for it. Paint it top to bottom Jet Black and install a flip up fiberglass one piece front end.

I will post pictures of my progress once I have something to show for working through the supper humid and hot weekend days I'm hoping to have the floor going in next weekend.

On a finial note keep them project updates of the Gasser coming I always get a new idea everytime I see one. Thanks for your time

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Way to go Travis:tu :anim_25:with the gasser... Later, Dave

·
Registered
66,323 Posts
hi travis. great update and sounds like a great plan. nice progress! :party0031:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well today on my way home from work I stoped in the local TSC to purchase a siphon sandblaster. Well for 20.00 I got one. Brought it home to see how well it worked and to my surpise it work pretty good it will be a slow process but I have way more time than money so I will get the floor sand blasted and cleaned up proir to installing them in the car. I will post pictures this week. So you can all see the monster project I have undertaken it will be a lot of fun. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I promise to get pictures in the morning- My wife just bought a new camera today so I will get pictures. Progress to this point has been slow. I took a week of vacation and went up to the IMCA supernationals in Boone Iowa for a couple days and then the last three I have been working on the 56.

well the floors pans I bought where cut in half right above the center cross brace which is nice for splicing the pans together I have spent the last couple of days drilling out the spot welds on the rear seat braces to have access to the rear seams. cleaned out 54 year old seemsealer. Nothing sticks worse when the plasma torch hits it than seem sealer.

Finished sand blasting the bottom of the rear floor and got the rear floor patched up and looks great!!! My boy and I will test fit it tomorrow and see if I measured everything correctly.

The front half of the floor is going to be really tough who ever had this car before me really cut up the front half of the floor. Should be interesting. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
here are some photos of what I'm starting with Should have the rear floor in today some time if all goes well. The photos make the car look rough but other than the floors and toe boards its not that bad I have brought worse back to life. My plan is to get the floor in and done then I will move it into the shop and put it on the lift and pull the body off the frame. The reason I'm doing it out side is to make sure I get the mice out of the car. It had a lot of them in it when I brought it home. They were running out all over the place. Any way thats my plan. When I have the body and frame seperated I plan to install the spring pockets and then do a mini tub.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts