Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to weld up holes and repaint. It looks possible, but has anyone removed the inner fenderwells without the fenders on a 56? I have removed a whole assembly before but.....

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was able to remove them on my 55.
However I wasn't able to install them back on with the fenders installed.
It's just easier in the long run to remove everything.
Todd

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to remove them on my 55.
However I wasn't able to install them back on with the fenders installed.
It's just easier in the long run to remove everything.
Todd
Todd, what stopped you when you tried the reinstall? Was it the area around the grille opening?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I had repainted them and they got scratched up real bad trying to reinstall.
All I remember was it would not line up. Working by myself I had no way to hold it up. Like I said, it may be possible to install but it got all scratched up for me. I took the fenders off and repainted and reinstalled both in about the same amount of time to remove and reinstall with the fenders on.
Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had repainted them and they got scratched up real bad trying to reinstall.
All I remember was it would not line up. Working by myself I had no way to hold it up. Like I said, it may be possible to install but it got all scratched up for me. I took the fenders off and repainted and reinstalled both in about the same amount of time to remove and reinstall with the fenders on.
Todd
Ok, for anyone else thinking about doing this, at least on a 56, forget about it. I removed almost everything from the right side front. I started with the obvious bolts from the hood line, splash extension, inner support. I got it loose and the only direction it would move was down in the front and out.....until it hit the headlight bucket and turn light. Took those out too. Not enough room around the front disc, still not enough room. At that point the only thing left was the cowl bolt and the lower fender bolt. I spent about an hour on that little adventure.

I spent 15 minutes on the driver's side and the whole fender was off. I looked at the 55 and see where you might get it out due to a different more flat shape up by the grille, but probably still not worth the time and pain.

Todd.....that's a beautiful job on those fenderwells....and everything else!👍

1 - 6 of 6 Posts