Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the 1956 wheels for station wagons wider (than the wheels put on other models?).. If so, how wide were they? Does anyone have a set of 4 they would like to sell?

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
I don't know for sure but think they are the same ... Bobby probably knows for sure ... :tu
Cowboy :flag6:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a faint recollection (of back when I breathed, ate, thought) classic chevys all day long... that SW wheels were wider.. and someone the other day mentioned that SW wheels were 6 or 6.5" wide... versus the 5 or 5.5 of the other cars...?

Putting this another way.. Does anyone have any 15" wheels for Chevy pattern that are 6-8" wide to sell? I'd need a set of 4... I've a chance to buy some '56 wire wheel covers at a decent price, and I really like them, but would need wider wheels than stock for sure to run decent tires...

·
Premium Member
16,187 Posts
I had a faint recollection (of back when I breathed, ate, thought) classic chevys all day long... that SW wheels were wider.. and someone the other day mentioned that SW wheels were 6 or 6.5" wide... versus the 5 or 5.5 of the other cars...?

Putting this another way.. Does anyone have any 15" wheels for Chevy pattern that are 6-8" wide to sell? I'd need a set of 4... I've a chance to buy some '56 wire wheel covers at a decent price, and I really like them, but would need wider wheels than stock for sure to run decent tires...
Gary, In 56 all the passenger cars including wagons had the same wheels. Before you buy the wire caps PM me for more info. :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
Gary, In 56 all the passenger cars including wagons had the same wheels. Before you buy the wire caps PM me for more info. :)
1956 Taxis, police cars, and optional Corvette wheels were 5 1/2 inches wide. They were riveted construction, and they are worth serious money.

Normal passenger car, and standard Corvette wheels were 5 inches wide.

A 1970s vintage Chevelle, Malibu etc. wheel is 15 x 6, and works well on a classic Chevy. Also has the advantage of having clearance for disc brakes.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,001 Posts
I'll ecco what Bruce is about to tell you about 56 wire caps. If you plan on driving the Nomad a lot, forget about them. They will come loose and destroy the fender lips. They also stick out more in the center ring then stock caps, and get damaged by curbs often.

I love the 55 wire caps, but they went backwards in 56.

Mikey

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
1956 Taxis, police cars, and optional Corvette wheels were 5 1/2 inches wide. They were riveted construction, and they are worth serious money.

Normal passenger car, and standard Corvette wheels were 5 inches wide.

A 1970s vintage Chevelle, Malibu etc. wheel is 15 x 6, and works well on a classic Chevy. Also has the advantage of having clearance for disc brakes.

The centering hole on the later wheels(which use roller bearing hubs) is slightly smaller than a 55-59( maybe 60 also) wheel. They will work on the rear with no problem. I had to enlarge the center hole on the NOS 63 Corvette 5 1/2 inch wide wheels to be able to install them on the front of my 62.

There was also a 6 lug 6 inch wide heavy duty wheel used on stock cars(Black Widow).

·
Registered
955 Posts
The centering hole on the later wheels(which use roller bearing hubs) is slightly smaller than a 55-59( maybe 60 also) wheel. They will work on the rear with no problem. I had to enlarge the center hole on the NOS 63 Corvette 5 1/2 inch wide wheels to be able to install them on the front of my 62.

There was also a 6 lug 6 inch wide heavy duty wheel used on stock cars(Black Widow).
I put the 70 vintage wheels on my 56 with no problems, front and rear. NO adjustment to the hubs or wheels needed.

I did have a pair of 65 Chevelle wheels that would not fit the front.

Also the 6 lug wheel was 5 1/2 inches wide, and was used some some trucks, as well as the race car applications. That wheel is also riveted.
Some people have tried to make replica 5 1/2 Corvette wheels using the riveted centers from 5 inch wheels, and the outers from the truck wheels.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments and feedback guys... I'm getting the feeling that you all don't think the wire caps for '56 are a great idea.. regardless of how great they look... ? And I would not use them anyway, unless I could use them on a wheel wide enough to mount a decent-sized modern radial (white wall would look great with them). :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I put the 70 vintage wheels on my 56 with no problems, front and rear. NO adjustment to the hubs or wheels needed.

I did have a pair of 65 Chevelle wheels that would not fit the front.

Also the 6 lug wheel was 5 1/2 inches wide, and was used some some trucks, as well as the race car applications. That wheel is also riveted.
Some people have tried to make replica 5 1/2 Corvette wheels using the riveted centers from 5 inch wheels, and the outers from the truck wheels.
I didn't have any trouble with 69-70 Impala wheels on the 57 hubs but they have larger bearings than the 63 Corvettes.

The 5 1/2 inch truck wheel is a later model wheel.

These are the 6 inch wheel I have and they are shown in the 57 master parts book.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I didn't have any trouble with 69-70 Impala wheels on the 57 hubs but they have larger bearings than the 63 Corvettes.

The 5 1/2 inch truck wheel is a later model wheel.

These are the 6 inch wheel I have and they are shown in the 57 master parts book.

Good info, thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts