Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1957 283 carb for stock intake

8K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Hilliard Dawg 
#1 ·
HELLO, RECENTLY PURCHASED A FACTORY 57 WAGON WITH ROCHESTER 4-BBL. WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL A NEW CARB, MAYBE AN ELDEBROCK? (FACTORY TYPE CARB, NOT IMPORTANT). BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO LOCATE A SOURCE FOR A CARB WITH A BASE TO MATCH THE UNIQUE SHAPE OF THE STOCK INTAKE. I'M SURE THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN FACED BY MANY OTHERS? YEARS AGO I STUMBLED ACROSS AN ADAPTER PLATE THAT WORKED ON ANOTHER 57. BUT, I DON'T REMEMBER WHERE IT CAME FROM OR WHAT BRAND. THKS, BNEW

#2 ·
Yes, The stock intake takes a small square bore carb (rochester or carter) to mount a later larger carb you will have to change the intake or add an adapter. I think summit sells them. Changing manifolds is the better solution. but rebuilding your rochester is as good a solution as any. I am at a loss, why so many people think it will run better with a huge carb. It usually causes more problems than it fixes. If I had to change it, Of all the carbs out there, The quadrajet is probably the best solution (IMO) for a 283 as it has small primarys (idle and economy) and much larger secondarys. Good luck with your project.
Gary

#3 ·
I agree with this post Q-jet best option and would add those Mr Gasket and Eelco adaptors from back in the day were nothing but a bolt on vacume leak. The right way to put a Eldejunk on is with a 300 horse 327[AFB] or 275 horse [AVS/Holley] intake. I run Holley or stock Q-jet on my stuff.

#5 ·
Summit sells the adapters,However I decided to change the intake as well,Installing a edelbrock 2703 intake with a edekbrock 500 cfm performer carb on my stock 283,this weekend.I will let you know how it works out,As for all of you guys wondering why some of us believe in changing from the old stock rochester 4gc,Walk a mile in my shoes(lol) the last 3 years,I have had mine restored and rebuilt,and still fight it from time to time.Spent well over 400 -500 dollars on a 50 plus year old carb,not worth the headache anymore.:anim_25:

#6 ·
I actually agree with you. Sometimes its just plain easier to replace one than figure out why.

I think many of us have all walked many miles in shoes like yours. It seems like no matter what carb you are talking about, Somebody has had one that iwas a real headache.

I don't think the age of the castings is really an issue, unless the throttle shaft holes are worn oversize, and that can be addressed.

Ive rebuilt flathead ford carbs (90 years old) that run like new and Ive seen some that won;t run right no matter what you do. To each their own. My only interest is helping, if I can, to make someones triFive experence more enjoyable
Gary

#8 ·
Welcome m8,

Although a little late in my reponse, i went through the same thing recently with my stock 283, although i couldn't find an adapter plate which fitted the small squre pattern so ended up having to use and adapter and then modify it to suit, i also ended up putting on a Q-jet as it it had a 600 holley on it which i thought considering the motor being as old as it is and being completely stock was a bit over kill.

Anyways, put the modified adapter on with new Q-jet and runs perfectly, although the mechanic at the time didnt beleive me that the adapter plate wouldnt fit and needed to be modified untill AFTER they discovered air leaks.............

#12 ·
Summit sells the adapters,However I decided to change the intake as well,Installing a edelbrock 2703 intake with a edekbrock 500 cfm performer carb on my stock 283,this weekend.I will let you know how it works out,As for all of you guys wondering why some of us believe in changing from the old stock rochester 4gc,Walk a mile in my shoes(lol) the last 3 years,I have had mine restored and rebuilt,and still fight it from time to time.Spent well over 400 -500 dollars on a 50 plus year old carb,not worth the headache anymore.
Please don't tell me this.

I just spent $100 on a friend's original rebuilt Rochester. He didn't want the carb after he had it professionally rebuilt & restored so he found a Carter and put it on his 283.

I'm still waiting to use the carb. I wanted to clean and paint an intake to use with it.

I do have another Rochester that ran very well considering it'd never been touched. If I hadn't snapped the choke rod I'd still be using the carburator.

NOTE: I'd been giving some consideration to rebuilding another Q-jet I own and using it plus an aftermarket aluminum intake I purchased from a co-worker. He didn't like the intake on his '69 Camaro so he bought new equipment for it.

#15 ·
I'm pretty sure that the old powerpack heads have smaller ports than most late model heads. I see several suggestions about putting on a new (large port/ runner)aftermarket manifold on the old 265/283 heads with the small ports. There would be some serious grinding to match the ports, but has anyone had any vacuum leak issues? I had to be selective with gaskets when rebuilding my 265.

I'd hate to see BNEW end up with an issue in this area, if it's even an issue at all.

Personally, I logged alot of miles using an adapter to fit a 390 CFM Holley 4BBL to an old GM manifold. It's a good carb for a 283, or even the 250hp 327. The manifold runners are smaller to keep up the mixture velocity on the smaller engine, which I think helps economy and throttle response. It may not be the best setup for the drag strip, but I liked it on the street. Spunky as well as thrifty. This setup on a 327 actually kicked butt on a few "hot rods" in my younger days.

Happy motoring

#17 ·
Simple clean gas. Peter
I hear the states want to up the E85 mixture from 10% corn to 15%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.