Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to take my 57 Chevy to Hershey to sell. But I have an oil leak
problem. I replaced the valve cover gaskets using 3M Gasket adhesive just to hold it to the valve cover and did not put nothing on the other side to the block. I know its coming from the valve cover area I see drips onto the exhaust
pipe below the covers and smell a burning of oil smell. This is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
903 Posts
HOW LONG AGO DID YOU DO THE GASKITS DID IT LEAK RIGHT AFTER OR DO YA NEED RETIGHTEN VALVE COVER BOLTS? CORK GASKETS?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replaced them just last week. I have the rubber gaskets. Would the cork gaskets be better? Maybe I should of used Permatix on the end towards the block......

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Cheap stamped sheet metal valve covers always seem to leak on me. I have given up on them. If I go with a chromed valve cover I will only buy the Gm ones. Lately I have taken to using cast aluminum covers. They are more rigid and seem to tighten down more uniformly and seal better.

So what kind of valve covers do you have here? There are reinforcements available that mount between the valve cover and the mounting bolts that help to provide better more uniform tension around the lip of the stamped covers. See Summit or Jegs, available at any good speed shop or auto parts outlet that sells custom covers. All else fails just use the high temp silicon on both sides of the gasket. Just hope it ain't you removing the covers next time ;-)

Don

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mr. Gasket and Felpro to name a few, make some racing gaskets that have a steel middle (both in cork and neophrene types). they are thicker. i have used them a bunch of times on both stock and aftermarket styles of valve covers. they work great and haven't had any problems with leaks.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Cork!! and when ordering them from a parts house ask for the thicker cork that was original NOT the thin cheap cork most suppliers sell.
Same with fan belts depending on the HP that have wide groove pulleys, ask for the wider belt and not the cheap thin ones sold.

YOU HAVE TO ASK>:eek::eek::eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts