Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Spent some time today working in the shop and took a much closer look at the frame I picked up and it is not a a 57, either a 55 or 56 instead.

I took the fellow at his word it was from a 57 and didn't look at the whole frame over too close as we got it out of where it had been stored for the last decade or two. Well, that meant 2 of the brackets I need are too short it seems.

Pretty sure he believed it to be a 57 and that he was not trying to pull a fast one on me and truth be told, it has more than enough good pieces I need that I can make do with what I have so not too concerned.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,738 Posts
The only main difference between the 55-6 frame and the 57's is the shape of the front horns forward of the front cross member. All the others should be the same except the rear spring
hangers. The 55 shackle mounts are narrower than 56-57. The front spring bolt up bracket has the holes in a different spot in 55-56. From the photos you show both frames are the seamless
ones.

Post some photos of the ones that are short.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
The #2 mounting brackets are the same on both frames as are all the little ones, just thought it was strange that there was such a clear difference between just these 2 brackets and wondered why, if other than just because it was a 55/56 frame.

The #2 brackets from both frames:

Did not have the ruler quite in the correct spot because of the welds being in the way, but when measuring using both hands and not holding a camera, they are the same.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Got it back home from where it was being stored while I did some work on the other frame.

Small shop so have to rotate projects when the weather is anything but perfect.

And we have what seems to be the almost required (on these old rigs), Bondo covered area surprise...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Thought I would check in and see what has been happening. Did any one make it to the Spokane Speed & Custom show in Spokane, WA., over Father's Day weekend? I was able to be there Fri & Sat, lots of really nice cars and trucks, lots of inspiration.

Also had the chance to meet and talk with Ian Roussel both days. What an incredibly nice, down to earth guy!! Met his wife Jamie as well, great gal and managed to talk me into $100.00 worth of swag, now I see why he brought her!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Spent a little time on the 57, pulled the seats, carpet and underlayment out to check the pans for rust. Lots of spots of medium to heavy, scaly rust, but only found 3 small holes. The biggest about the size of a dime. Probably more once I do the screwdriver test, but for the first round, it isn't too bad.

·
Administrator
69,243 Posts
If you have small rust holes just plug them up. Good to see Ian Roussel is still around we get his shows televised here most probably repeats from a few years ago but enjoy his custom builds on both cars and bikes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
If you have small rust holes just plug them up. Good to see Ian Roussel is still around we get his shows televised here most probably repeats from a few years ago but enjoy his custom builds on both cars and bikes.
Yeah, he is just a very nice, approachable guy it seemed. He said the current season he is filming will be out in December on MotorTrend. We have the same problem here with our cable provider, they only carry his first 4 seasons and just rerun them. Amazon prime has some that are free and some that require purchase, but I think it only goes to the Sports car build he did over several episodes, if I remember correctly it was $12.00 or so to purchase.

I was also able to find him on Lucas racing TV app and watch the other seasons, but they have dropped all but I believe season 7...and it may be gone soon or already.

We need to get him to offer past seasons on DVD in boxed sets!!

As for the floor, I have just exposed it all for closer inspection, at those were what were what popped up right away. Going to spend some quality time with a grinder and wire brush and see how things look once I get the crust cleared. Ideally, a few small patches would be great, but time will tell how solid the rest of the floor is. I got extremely lucky with the trunk floor having no rust issues, so Murphy tells me I shouldn't be surprised that he saved me some for under the carpet!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Been awhile since I updated, been doing alot of "other stuff" around the farm and not too much with the 57. Had it in for another round of rust repair and now just have the basic fender bottoms and bottoms of door skins.

Driver side rear floor pan was the worst, once I hit it will a wire wheel, the holes really opened-up, so it got a patch panel.

Automotive tire Wood Artifact Gas Automotive wheel system

Wood Automotive exterior Gas Hardwood Bumper

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper

The rear quarter in the front, lower part had a rust through spot as well, so it was done at the same time.

Wood Bumper Floor Flooring Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Tire Car Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

That pretty much finished up the areas that I was not confident in my ability to not make them worse and over the summer I was able to get my MIG all set-up and ready to go, I will be tackling the fender & door issues myself.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts