Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Added some original GM replacement parts to pantry! Last year I found a N.O.S. License plate light on ebay:

Finger Font Material property Gas Nail

And then last week on ebay I found a pair of N.O.S. rear fender ends that arrived today...MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Shipping box Vehicle Wood Motor vehicle Package delivery

Green Metal Auto part Fashion accessory Tin

Not really necessary to have at the moment, but when original GM stuff shows up, I try and grab it if it is fairly reasonable so I have the "real thing" when it's time comes.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,738 Posts
Just
The rear, outboard body bracket is about 2" shorter than the same one on the frame I am working on.

View attachment 334970 View attachment 334971 View attachment 334972
I just saw this and thought I would point out the difference in the length is because of the different design of the frame. The one piece frame is different from the 2 piece frame. This is
because of the different width of the frame. The body mount holes in the floor are the same on all bodies, so the braces on the sides of the frame are different length to ensure the
body can be dropped on either frame. The difference in years of the frame makes no difference in the length of those braces. There were 2 companies that provided frames and all
could be used under the bodies except convertibles.

Mikey

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Just

I just saw this and thought I would point out the difference in the length is because of the different design of the frame. The one piece frame is different from the 2 piece frame. This is
because of the different width of the frame. The body mount holes in the floor are the same on all bodies, so the braces on the sides of the frame are different length to ensure the
body can be dropped on either frame. The difference in years of the frame makes no difference in the length of those braces. There were 2 companies that provided frames and all
could be used under the bodies except convertibles.

Mikey

That may well be true, but in this case, both are one-piece frames....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
With the occasional nice days popping up, been doing a little here & there. Pulled the front clip so I can work on the fenders and check for rust in some of the hidden spots.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Plant Grass Wood Art Fender

Had one little clip holding the vent control cable on top of the fresh air intake that was rusted in place. What a pain to get off, but I won after a bit of a struggle. Some of the bolts were too rusted to get at to remove while still on the car, so had no real choice but to pull it complete so I could dismantle it easier and not cause any damage.

Hand Fluid Body jewelry Wood Gesture

Talk about increasing your vocabulary! This little feller was a Thesaurus of new words!!

But got it all broken down without doing any damage other than to stuck bolts here & there.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Wood Personal protective equipment Hardwood Eyewear Metal

Ordered some rear fender braces for the typical lower front fender rust and a front passenger side floor patch that UPS says should be here this afternoon, for a few small worm holes in the floor.

Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

That is about it for the time being. Weather has gone backwards again for a few days and lots of stuff needing done so not as far along as it could be, but farther than it was....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Got the floor patch roughed in and a few booger welds tacked in. Kinda "learn as I go process" as I have never done this before. I will admit, it is a little scary cutting both into car and those expensive patch panels, but I wanted to be able to say in the end that I did some of the rust work myself and didn't just farm it all out.

The work I had Gil @ Toyland Auto do is something that I just would not have been able to with my current skills (read that to say lack thereof), and having those big areas done by him gave me a huge jumpstart that might have still been holding me back today.

Yesterday I started out pretty intimidated with the task in front of me and in the end, felt more accomplished and happy with where it is at.

Have learned a lot from this site following build threads and reading about other's processes. Also Have learned a bunch from YouTube. Never was a fan of YouTube due to the overwhelming amount of useless garbage that people seem to need to share. But after spending a little time doing some careful searching, I have found a few quality channels that, along with reading what folks have shared here and watching the video process, I feel more confidence than intimidation towards tackling this this type work.

Anyway, yesterday's progress and the aforementioned booger welds....

Hood Grille Automotive tire Trunk Bumper

Wood Floor Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

81 - 88 of 88 Posts