Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Got the patch fully welded in and ground fairly smooth on the outside. Not a perfect blend, but based on my skill level & experience, I am happy. Next up, lower section of fender brace...

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Wood Rectangle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
This is the last of the known rust on the passenger fender!! Now have to do pretty much the exact same repairs on the driver side. But now I have a little experience, so hopefully it goes a little better.

Hood Cabinetry Wood Automotive tire Floor

Hood Cabinetry Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wood Rectangle Automotive design Automotive exterior Fender

Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Machine

Wood Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Not too worried about blending that last part smooth as it is completely covered by the trim.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Started on the driver side fender. Has pretty much the same issues as the passenger side did, only a little more extensive. For the first patch, due to its size, I cut a patch out of a fender I picked-up at the swap meet and fit it in place. Treated the area with rust converter and after I strip the paint, will weld it in place.

Plant Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire Wood

Musical instrument Wood Drum Vehicle door Fender

Automotive tire Wood Art Automotive wheel system Tints and shades

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Paint Bumper Wood

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Gotta hand it to you, tackling these small jobs and posting pics and narrative to go along. I am watching like a wide-eyed kid! On the gettin old thing, we slow down a bit, but this stuff is what keeps us going! Carry on !

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Gotta hand it to you, tackling these small jobs and posting pics and narrative to go along. I am watching like a wide-eyed kid! On the gettin old thing, we slow down a bit, but this stuff is what keeps us going! Carry on !
Thanks! Seeing the amount of rust in and around the windows, I was not confident to try those areas, so gladly farmed them out to a professional shop.

As for the bolt-on items like fenders & doors, my thought was that if I completely screwed one up, I could just bite the bullet and get an aftermarket replacement, but this gave a great chance to stretch boundaries of my comfort zone and have my fingerprints on the build.

Enjoying it so far, learning a little more with each patch, a few mess-ups, but nothing that can't be worked out in the end.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Cut out and replaced a deeply rust pitted patch, treated with rust converter last night and just needs some primer today. Moving on the next and last part of this fender, the rear lower corner & brace...

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle door

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Paint

Tire Water Automotive tire Bicycle tire Hood

Hood Motor vehicle Art Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Driver side lower fender skin rust work started. Got run out of the shop due to the heat, but did get the patch tacked in. Finish welding and then replace the crusty brace and call that one done...

Automotive lighting Gas Paint Wood Tints and shades

Water Gas Wood Fashion accessory Metal

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Natural material

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Chair

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Sleeve Gas Denim Carmine Fashion accessory

101 - 120 of 130 Posts