Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I are going to buy a 57 cadillac Coupe Deville and restore it. It has no engine, transmission, or seats but otherwisw its in good shape. Would a 400 sbc and a 700r4 be a good choice? And what would it take to retrofit them into the car?

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
Anything can be made to fit. Pull the front clip and lower the engine/tranny in place to see what needs to be done to secure it. I doubt there's a ready made kit for it, this isn't a common conversion.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Sounds great like it.Mike

·
Administrator
271 Posts
If you go to the trouble of building a 400, bore it .030. 406s make tons of torque and you'll want that with the Caddy's weight

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was going to just order a custom turnkey engine. The 400 fell out but i found a 383 stroker with high flow heads that they offer a roller cam setup on for 400 extra. Makes 400 horses they claim

·
Administrator
271 Posts
I'd take a 383 over a 406 but make sure you get the one with a one piece rear main seal (1986+ blocks are all one piece). Also, I'd call and talk to that builder and see where they are getting the crank (used or new) and what roller cam they will put in. The roller cam plus a one piece rear main is what you want. My 406 requires the use of oil with ZDP and no matter what, a the older engines leak more than the newer design.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
588 Posts
SBC will fit fine, tons of room. You will likely need to build your own motor mounts, I don't remember if Cad in those years had front mounts but you want side mounts. You'll also need to build a trans cross member. Driveshaft work, exhaust, radiator - use all Chev brackets - hit a wrecker if you don't have them. Some crafting to do but not that difficult. Clean the gas tank, re bleed/build brakes, clean out fuel lines, all pretty basic project stuff. Have fun, looks like a great project.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts