Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what an average cost of a ground up restoration on a '57 Cameo would cost.
Thanks ahead of time for you're help.

·
Premium Member
13,814 Posts
I was wondering what an average cost of a ground up restoration on a '57 Cameo would cost.
Thanks ahead of time for you're help.
10,000- 100,000 with out some more info like what is expected finish and current condition its impossible to estimate

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Body is strait No apparent rust that I can see. I'de like a nice resto, but not something where I'de be afraid to drive it. All the trim needs to be replaced as well as interior. I'de also like to keep it as close to stock as possible.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Cameo

Parts are a real problem, not aware of any repops, not enough of them around to make it practical. Cost depends on deep pockets and availability of parts.

Joe

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Thats a lot of money these days. Mike

·
Administrator
49,253 Posts
Too many variables to give an answer. You doing most of the work or hiring it out? Body good or a rust bucket? Engine and transmission already there or have to acquire? You rebuilding them or paying to have that done? You doing the paint and body work or hiring it done? Interior there or have to find it? Lot of variables to figure in there.
Terry

·
Administrator
65,355 Posts
You`ll find body and paint is where a lot of your money will go, then your looking at drivetrain, interior, electrics and other cosmetic touches, like chrome.

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
Are you looking for a bone stock or modified restoration?

·
Registered
67,066 Posts
labor is going to effect the cost. how much of the work are you going to do yourself? in the end will cost more then you figured. :anim_25:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking to do a bone stock resto.
I can do minor motor (cooling system, tune up), fuel (Lines, Tank, Sending Unit) & brake (Lines, Master Cylinder) work myself.
Everything else I will need done professionally.
Want to pull the engine & repaint engine bay & engine.
Engine & trans are in vehicle. Only rebuilding engine & trans if nessesary. (What do you recommend)
Body is good. No apparent Rust. It's been in indoor storage for about 40 years. It will need repaint.
Interior is all there just needs to be refreshed, or redone.
Most of the chrome will need to be replaced or rechromed.
Also all the window, door. ect. rubber will need to be replaced.
Probably will need to at least go over all the wiring, or replace.
I would like a frame off resto, but it all depends on the price.
This truck was my fathers for at least the last 40 years, so I would like to do it in a tribute to him, but I don't have an unlimited budget.
Thanks For all the help & suggestions.

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
Sounds like a great project and I'm sure it would make your father proud. By the way, WE LOVE PICTURES!!!

Assuming you haven't been driving it, you might consider just getting it on the road and enjoying it while until you formulate a plan. You might decide that you want some minor modern updates for better drivability/safety. Don't get me wrong, I love these trucks in stock trim.

Maybe take it to some respected shops in your area and get to know those folks a little. You'll need to find someone you can trust. You also might surprise yourself on what you are capable of doing.

You'll probably find the wiring a mess and several major items will need to be rebuilt or replaced. It will add up very quickly especially if hiring out most of the work. There's plenty of folks here to help out if needed too.

Based on what you've said, it sounds like a complete resto. Paint, interior, wiring, chrome, rubber, maybe windows too? When you put it all together, sounds like a frame off to do it justice.

And don't listen to JJ...sell it to me!!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
That's good advice from GotMotors! If possible get it in a driveable condition before tearing it apart. Lots of projects never make it back together after they are taken down completely as people get overwhelmed.

But doing it a system at a time, will allow you to enjoy it as you go!

Please post photo's soon, would love to see a unrestored Cameo!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did talk to my neighbor. He has a restoration shop, (But he mostly does work on the F word cars) (dare I say it Ford, mainly Mustangs). I asked him to take a look at the truck, & give me an honest estimate. He did say if I choose to let him do it, he'd show me & let me do some of the work myself. To save me some money. He also said what one of you said , to get it running first then go in stages as I get the money.
Does anyone know of a good place to get parts, (Trim, chrome, wiring, ect.)?
I will try to get pics posted soon. It's kinda tucked away in a dark building so I don't know how they will turn out though.
Thanks for all you're help & advice.

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
If you need Cameo specific trim, start looking on craigslist, forums or ebay now because I don't think any of it is reproduced.

Most everything else can be bought at Brothers trucks, Tuckers, LMC, dreamershotrods.com. Or just google 55-59 chevy trucks.

There are a few members here that may have some extra Cameo pieces, so a wanted to buy post might help.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Only Thing that i have not seen reproduced is the Horizontal Stainless Trim piece's and the
insert with the Chevy Bowtie for the 57 & 58 Cameo years.
Be prepared to spend large amount's of $$$$$ for the Piece's being reproduced.
Good luck!
Allen

Forgot to say, the Tailgate also, you will find the Fiberglass Shell,But at this time have not seen a reproduced
Tailgate for the Cameos as of yet either.

·
Premium Member
11,284 Posts
GotMotors is giving it to you straight. Before you tear it apart and find yourself in a morass you can't get out of, take an assessment of the truck and see what needs to be done to get it running first. I will be truthful, I had not choice but to pull the body on my 57 to fix the structural rust problems that had made the car unsafe and relegated the car to the garage. It was a lot of work and I had to suffer a lot of years in which I could not drive the car. Driving is better. If the body is as good as you say, you might be able to do a body on restoration, attacking things piece by piece. Mechanical first, electrical, interior, paint, chrome.

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,299 Posts
I know it can become very expensive real quick, BUT, the only thing finer than a nice 57 Cameo is two of them!

My very personal preference would be a crew cab 57 Cameo.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
GotMotors is giving it to you straight. Before you tear it apart and find yourself in a morass you can't get out of, take an assessment of the truck and see what needs to be done to get it running first. I will be truthful, I had not choice but to pull the body on my 57 to fix the structural rust problems that had made the car unsafe and relegated the car to the garage. It was a lot of work and I had to suffer a lot of years in which I could not drive the car. Driving is better. If the body is as good as you say, you might be able to do a body on restoration, attacking things piece by piece. Mechanical first, electrical, interior, paint, chrome.
X2!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts