Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Something i noticed looking at your interior photos again Federated52 is your Cameo is the first one i have seen with the standard heater and control knob (knob mounted on the plate)
usually a Deluxe heater with chrome control panel is the norm i have seen on Cameo's.
Again, nice Cameo,and hope you get her running soon!
Allen

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Something i noticed looking at your interior photos again Federated52 is your Cameo is the first one i have seen with the standard heater and control knob (knob mounted on the plate)
usually a Deluxe heater with chrome control panel is the norm i have seen on Cameo's.
Again, nice Cameo,and hope you get her running soon!
Allen
Allen,
I don't know anything about the heater/ control knob. (Or pretty much anything about the truck). It was my Dad's & he rarely talked about it. It was just stuck in storage for about 30 or so years.
I will have to look at it closer.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Its a Very Nice Cameo, and cool that it was your Dads, Get it running and enjoy it!

my Dad bought me my 58 when i was 16 and still have it and cherish that i still have it after all i have been threw, and when i walk out into my garage and see it i think of all the great times we had together working on it. i bought my oldest Son a 59 Stepside and he drove it to school, he has moved on to 4x4 trucks and Girls Lol.. But it will be waiting for him when the time comes
Enjoy That Cameo and wish you the BEST with it!
Allen

·
Registered
839 Posts
Federated, there are two bolts on either side of the license plate, on your bumper,
they are not stock, they hold your bumper in place and when you re-move them it lets you swing the bumper down to get access to the spare tire. you might look hard to see
i your Dad stashed the originals somewhere as new ones are $$Expensive$$ to replace!
Classic parts has them but are around $80.00 bucks.
They have a taper just under the head that seats into the bumper,
Allen

·
Registered
839 Posts
Wow $80 I will have to look to see if I can find them, Thanks for the info.
Correction, there is only one bolt in your picture holding the bumper spare tire door closed in your picture! The Originals are "chrome" with hex head and tapper below the head of the bolt.
Hope you can find the Originals, Glove box maybe? other then that your Cameo is pretty complete and hope you are able to get it out on the road,
Does it Run?

again :anim_25:
Allen

·
Registered
839 Posts
Federated52
Something i also want to pass along in helping you, is your tailgate is operated with a Tape Real mechanism that is under a long metal cover at the back of your bed,up under the fender well, there are eight bolts (should be Phillips head) that you will see on the inside of the bed, if you can pull this cover off you will find this Tape Real that has a cable attached to it,and the cable is connected to the tailgate. my suggestion is don't try to operate and drop your tailgate down, reason being is by the looks of the truck in were it was stored that tape real just might be rusted or corroded.
But, if you take precaution and pull it apart undisturbed you could soak this Real in penetrating oil and free and loosen it up and help from it getting broken.
Yes, you can get new reals for the truck but the ones you have might just be worth the effort of saving them from damage and you are Money ahead.
Just trying to help you out!
Allen

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks,
I will try to remember to do that soon. So that I don't forget when the time comes to do the truck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Will be bringing the Cameo home in the next few weeks. I have a question on the brake & fuel lines. Do either the brake or fuel lines run through the frame or do they both run along the frame? Also do I need to order shortbed lines or longbed lines? Thanks for the help. I know I could wait till I get it home to check it out, but wanted to order the lines so they will be here when I get the truck home. Thanks again for all the help & advice, everyone is always helpful on here.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Will be bringing the Cameo home in the next few weeks. I have a question on the brake & fuel lines. Do either the brake or fuel lines run through the frame or do they both run along the frame? Also do I need to order shortbed lines or longbed lines? Thanks for the help. I know I could wait till I get it home to check it out, but wanted to order the lines so they will be here when I get the truck home. Thanks again for all the help & advice, everyone is always helpful on here.
They run on the inside of the frame. I think it is fuel and brake lines on passenger side, and just brake lines on driver's side coming from master cylinder. bowtie-trifive

:gba:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
So from what I take from that is, I will have to remove the bed & cab to replace the lines on the truck? If I buy pre-bent lines?

·
Registered
532 Posts
You shouldn’t need to pull either. The lines run along the inside of the frame rail. I may be starting a Resto of a ‘57 Cameo myself. I haven’t decided if I want to pull the trigger on the asking price yet. I am going to pose the question on here and get opinions next.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Oh ok good. I was hoping they wouldn't run inside the frame like some later GM cars do. Sounds like it shouldn't be too hard then. Good luck with you're Cameo. I am just going to get my truck up & running safely, then decide on doing a full blown resto. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
you asked... The Cameo is a shortbed truck... Also some question about the top of the fender trim. I believe those pieces were optional (or accessory) similar to the optional fender trim on the '56 cars...

I noticed that most all the pot metal parts will need to be rechromed, and not just any chrome shop can do it decently; you will spend a small fortune getting that stuff restored, so save that til last and do other stuff first.. Your truck is *outstandingly* complete... Thank you dad for saving it for you! :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Ok thanks, I thought it was a shortbed, but just wanted to be syre before ordering lines. Thanks for the info on the fender trim. Yes all most all the trim is that way. Thanks for the compliment on the truck, my Dad was usually fairly good on buying complete "original" cars. Thanks Again.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts