Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in a Tri-5!

Due to some unfortunate life events, I decided it was better at the time to pass along my ‘57 Bel Air 2 Door Hardtop and ‘57 Bel Air 4 Door post projects. I wasn’t happy to see them go, but sometimes that’s just how things work out.

Fast forward to today, I ended up needing some parts for the ‘78 Chevy project, and ended up getting ahold of the guy that I bought the Hardtop from originally - and it turned out that he still had the other ‘57 I saw around at the time! After a lot of shoveling and a little bit of negotiation, I became the proud owner of another ‘57!

The car is a 1957 Chevy 210 2 Door post, originally a 283/Powerglide, although yet unsure what carb configuration. The Surf Green paint is original according to the trim tag, but based off of the white paint where the stainless Bel Air panel usually goes on the rear quarter, I believe the roof originally used to be white, and was painted to match the body color.

So far, the rockers appear to be the worst part, with the floor also having issues in places, but overall it seems to be a mostly solid and straight car. Most of the interior is missing, along with much of the side trim. Most other body parts seem intact. The passenger quarter panel has some damage, but I believe I can save it if I’m careful.

Long term goal will be a complete restoration, short term will be to get it running, driving, and enjoy it for a while. I’m planning on doing an LS swap with a 4L60E, as well as converting over to power front disc brakes, and possibly power steering in the future. Aside from that, I don’t have plans to change much.

Anyways, here’s some pictures as it was found to start this build off! The car should be delivered this upcoming Friday, and I’ll get better pictures once it’s home.

Apparently, these are the original miles. Still under 55,000!

·
Premium Member
55 belair 3 inch chop, history unknownrumored to have spent its life on east coast,I know no history
157 Posts
Are you going to keep it that color? I think it would look great in its original green, and what a great find...you were lucky and should have bought a lottery ticket too that day! :)

·
Premium Member
12,999 Posts
I wonder why it is with these cars that the hood always seems to weather so much more than the rest of the car?? Most all project barn find trifives I've seen are like that. Odd.

Nice find by the way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

For now, the green will stay, I want to preserve it as much as possible and drive it. I’m not really concerned with the body and paint just yet, externally it’s pretty solid. I might dive into rockers and some areas of the floor just to keep it from getting any worse, but that won’t affect the patina much. Long term, I’m undecided on keeping the original color. It’s a pretty neat color, but I’ve always wanted a red ‘57 post.

I have no idea on the hoods, but I’m guessing either the larger surface area or a different paint or prep process compared to other areas of the car. Possibly a commonly damaged area back in the day, and lesser quality paint was used in a repair? Either way, I haven’t looked closely enough to determine if the hood is original or not. It seems to be, but I didn’t look it over specifically.

·
Registered
66,978 Posts
cool project, congrats.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Nice find. I have a 57’ 210 that was originally surf green. I love the color. You just don’t see it everyday. The top does appear to have been white where the green has worn off. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Well, the car finally made it home today, which took a tremendous amount of effort and turned out to be an all day project. The one downside to buying an old car out of a junkyard? 50 years worth of cars parked in front of it!

Being that it’s winter still, and we’re in our freeze-thaw-freeze part of the season, the wheels have been surrounded with and submerged in ice, several inches deep! The way to deal with this is to get a jack under the frame, let the air out of the tires, lift the car, fill the ice hole (2x6’s in this case), and reinflate the tires.

All four wheels out of the ice!

Raised up and ready to roll!

We gently towed the car out with a front end loader, and staged it for the slideback.

Car loaded, ready to head for its new home!

Aaaaaand delivered!

Engine bay:

Trim tag:

I did get under the hood to measure the fuel line, which is 5/16”. So being a V8 car, Powerglide, and 5/16” fuel line, this would’ve either came with a single 2 or 4 barrel 283. Is there any way to differentiate between 2 or 4 barrel based on the linkage?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got through to the DMV yesterday to start the title process - tax and registration is $890. I’ll be getting that sent off this weekend, and it sounds like about a 4 week turnaround currently. Once that paperwork comes in, I’ll be trailering it down for the VIN inspection and getting my title!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I finally got through to the DMV yesterday to start the title process - tax and registration is $890. I’ll be getting that sent off this weekend, and it sounds like about a 4 week turnaround currently. Once that paperwork comes in, I’ll be trailering it down for the VIN inspection and getting my title!
Congrats. How are the floors. Was curious how a trifive holds up to the brutal weather of Alaska.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not terrible from what I’ve seen of them so far. I know the drivers floor needs a bit of work near the rocker, but the car is so packed full of parts that it’s hard to tell what is really in there. I’ll hopefully be cleaning out this weekend and getting a better look at what I’m working with.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Great find. Happy building!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!

The paperwork and check were sent out to the DMV this morning, now just to play the waiting game!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Is it required that you have to register the car? In VA we are required to title the car within 30 days of purchase, but don’t have to register/tags until it goes on the road.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, I’m just doing the paperwork to get the title before I order anything for it. It’ll be registered out of state during this process, but that registration cancels once it’s transferred back to Alaska.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Looks like a great project car! And I think getting all the paperwork and title stuff done first is very important too! I always get that done as soon as I buy any project to build. I've had friends who spent thousands of dollars and then discovered they had issues getting titles, or getting titles changed. Lots of sleepless nights once you start thinking about all those hours and money spent before doing paperwork!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Looks like a great project car! And I think getting all the paperwork and title stuff done first is very important too! I always get that done as soon as I buy any project to build. I've had friends who spent thousands of dollars and then discovered they had issues getting titles, or getting titles changed. Lots of sleepless nights once you start thinking about all those hours and money spent before doing paperwork!
Very smart. I did the same before spending the thousands.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trust me, the “Buy It Now” trigger finger is already itching!

It actually warmed up a little bit today (I saw -8*F this morning!) so I went out and inventoried the parts stuffed in the car, as well as cleaned it out the best I could with everything still being frozen.

The good news is that the car seems to be in good condition overall. No large pieces were missing from the floor, although moving around inside the car, I could tell that the floor braces and pan were pretty thin. The rockers are also rusted along the top, so a full floor and rocker set will be happening. Unfortunately, the rear seat is completely missing and the front seat is rusted badly and is unsavable, at least the upright section is.

I also seem to have quite a few spare parts, many duplicates, and I think some parts are from a hardtop car, as I found several sets of door flappers. I’ll definitely have to go through the parts better, and figure out exactly what goes to the car and what doesn’t.

Looks like I scored one of those ultra rare factory 4 speed cars! :D

Extra parts:

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Going through parts found inside a project you buy is fun. Never know what you might find, and sometimes it can reveal some real treasures! When I bought my '39 Chev coupe 2 years ago it was full of spare parts. I made two piles based on parts I knew I'd use, and those I considered not using.
Once I got all the parts separated I took the extra parts that were original '39 parts to a local seller, and traded them for credit on parts I needed. Then the repro parts he didn't want I took to another place that sells repro stuff, and got another credit from them. The remainder I put on local Craigslist and sold cheap.
I found an original, and near perfect hood ornament I wont use, but kept anyway. Also found original glass lenses, and other small parts new in their old boxes. So spares for future if needed.
When I finished selling and getting credits for all the extra parts I got enough to equal the $1500 I paid for the coupe! So basically got a free car to start my rebuild with.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts